Posted to tdk-dev@turbine.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <jv...@apache.org> on 2001/03/29 01:03:59 UTC

[ANN] tdk-1.1a12

Hi,

There's a new TDK up on the site:

http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/tdk

Flux is now integrated and there is a login example
with the peer app.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jvanzyl@apache.org

http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity
http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: [ANN] tdk-1.1a12

Posted by "Randall G. Alley" <ir...@bellsouth.net>.
Using NT4sp6  the script that drops the db if it already exists prompts for
a password
even if it is left blank in newapp.properties. Enter is required to get it
going again.

Same thing on the create database. Here's the report on that section from
build-project init:

[exec]
D:\Jakarta\tdk-1.1a12\tdk\webapps\testpeer12\WEB-INF\build>mysqladmin  -p
-hlocalhost --force drop testpeer12

[exec] Enter password: Database "testpeer12" dropped
[exec]
[exec]
D:\Jakarta\tdk-1.1a12\tdk\webapps\testpeer12\WEB-INF\build>mysqladmin  -p
-hlocalhost --force create testpeer12

127.0.0.1 didn't work for me either, I just changed it to:

databaseUrl = jdbc:mysql://localhost/testpeer12
databaseHost = localhost

The returns are still required though. I don't know what happens if you use
a database user and password. (simplistic world here)

After this though FLUX FLUX FLUX FLUX FLUX FLUX FLUX FLUX FLUX

Cool. Nice job Jason !

R.

RE: [ANN] tdk-1.1a12

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
Im running on Windows 2000 and MySQL, and everything worked almost* flawless
the first time.
I created both a simple app, then a peers app.

The Turbine Data Manager is nice.
Great work Jason!

- david

* had a minor problem since my mysql password is blank, so i sat there
staring and waiting for a while before i figured out 'press enter'...

Re: [ANN] tdk-1.1a12

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@apache.org>.
Eric Dobbs wrote:

> Some details from my testing of the peer app and flux.
> (win2k mysql jdk1.3 netscape6)
>
> I have added several permissions, a couple roles, and one group.
> I have deleted a permisison, a role, and a group.
> I have added permissions to a role, removed permissions from that
> role, and deleted the role when it still had permissions assigned.
>
> When I tried to change the name of one of the roles, I got an "Error".
> That's all the error was:  "Error" -- not expecially informative 8^)
> I've been looking at FluxRoleAction.java to see if I could figure out
> what the problem is, but haven't yet -- and running short of time
> tonight.  Maybe an UnknownEntityException?  Or that the role object
> is not getting it's properties set correctly?

There is a general problem with changing the names of things,
you basically have to remove them and add them. This is because
the name is the unique identifier, using the interfaces for
the security service there isn't a a way to get at the unique
id for a security object in the database without casting. In
Flux I tried not to use any casting so that flux would work
for any backend security implementation. We will figure this
out.

> I also cannot change the name of a permission nor that of a group.
> I haven't actually looked, but I'll bet it's the same sort of
> problem as the role.

Yup.

> I can change the lastname of a user (and I presume other fields as well).
>
> I was also able to add several records to the Turbine Data Manager.
> I've successfully edited every field in one record, and successfully
> deleted one record.
>
> I think this is intentional, but all the links under services just
> point to "home".  I presume these are stubs for the administrative
> tools to be developed for each of the services.

Yes, there is an upload example in the TDK but it's not hooked
up yet. I just wanted to get it out for now. But anyone who
wants to make some example to fill in the stubs can do so!

Thanks a lot for giving the new TDK a workout :-)

Re: [ANN] tdk-1.1a12

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@apache.org>.
David Sean Taylor wrote:

> > When I tried to change the name of one of the roles, I got an "Error".
> > That's all the error was:  "Error" -- not expecially informative 8^)
> > I've been looking at FluxRoleAction.java to see if I could figure out
> > what the problem is, but haven't yet -- and running short of time
> > tonight.  Maybe an UnknownEntityException?  Or that the role object
> > is not getting it's properties set correctly?
> >

> For the user, why not make the primary key input field readonly when in
> update mode?

Yes, we could do that. I was hoping we could enforce some unique id
somehow in the security interfaces so things could changed easily but
the read-only method would work for now.

> There is no point in even having the details option for groups, roles, and
> permissions, since there is only one field and its the primary key

There might be some details eventually. We have already agreed that
descriptions would be nice, I just haven't added them yet. And there
might possibly be other items that might be associated with
groups/roles/perms.

RE: [ANN] tdk-1.1a12

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.

Re: [ANN] tdk-1.1a12

Re: [ANN] tdk-1.1a12

Re: [ANN] tdk-1.1a12

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Can a few of the normal testers please give the TDK a whirl
under windows please. There are already reports of it not
working and I have built the sample app about 30 times today
and I know it works under unix.

Re: [ANN] tdk-1.1a12

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@apache.org>.
David Sean Taylor wrote:

> Excellent!
>
> Im looking forward to trying out the Flux integration tonight.
> Did you manage to get the LDAP code working too?

Nope, that's for tonight :-)

RE: [ANN] tdk-1.1a12

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.
Excellent!

Im looking forward to trying out the Flux integration tonight.
Did you manage to get the LDAP code working too?

Thanks for all of your efforts,

David