Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> on 2007/06/29 12:32:58 UTC

Jackrabbit press release

Hi,

Apache projects can issue formal press releases when there are some
major new stuff to be announced beyond the normal technical audience.
Press releases are a good way to generate interest within the press,
analysts, and other similar audiences.

Jackrabbit 2.0 with JCR 2.0 support will definitely be a good reason
for doing a press release, but I'm wondering if we should also do a
press release for Jackrabbit 1.4 later this year. It seems like 1.4 is
becoming our coolest release since Jackrabbit 1.0 and the timing would
coincide nicely with ApacheCon US.

WDYT?

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: Jackrabbit press release

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On 6/29/07, Frédéric Esnault <fe...@legisway.com> wrote:
> But I agree making so noise about the 1.4 could attract some more eyes-and-brains
> on the project. An another big release with fireworks, beers and girls for the 2.0?

Big +1 to anything that attracts fireworks, beers, and boys or girls! :-)

Posted by Frédéric Esnault <fe...@legisway.com>.
I was not saying Jackrabbit had to be perfect, of course ;)
I was referring to Jukka's introduction about apache products and press releases : "some major new stuff to be announced beyond the normal technical audience". And my interpretation is that it should be big enough to :
1. attract more people (on this point I completely agree with you);
2. attract again some people discouraged by some previous lacks of the project.

But I agree making so noise about the 1.4 could attract some more eyes-and-brains on the project. An another big release with fireworks, beers and girls for the 2.0?

Frédéric Esnault

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Frédéric Esnault <fe...@legisway.com>.
Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On 6/29/07, Frédéric Esnault <fe...@legisway.com> wrote:
> About 1.4 release of Jackrabbit, I'm less enthusiastic, because I think some
> issues should definitely be addressed, or at least discussed and if the decision
> is to do nothing about them (yet), some damn good reasons should be found
> and organized into a clear and convincing "counter-attack" speech.

Nothing is ever perfect, and the best any project can do is to evolve
towards perfection. Personally I find milestones in this process to be
much more interesting and newsworthy than reaching a plateau where
nothing much happens anymore.

> Why am I saying this? Simply because going public means bringing on the
> project many people's attention, and most of them will only notice the problems
> and limitations of the product.

I think that Jackrabbit is already (and has been since the 1.0
release) very useful for a variety of users, and would be ready to
reach for ever wider audiences (just did a Jackrabbit presentation in
the Jazoon conference).

Are you saying that a too big portion of new users are going to
encounter and be burned by problems or limitations in Jackrabbit? I'm
actually happy to see some complaints and concerns coming from users
as that's an important way to identify and prioritize things to be
fixed. But of course I don't want a majority of users to turn back in
disgust and never come back.

> And I think there is not enough progress about some major issues
> (administration (checkForReferencesInContent, checkForConflictingContent,
> trivial changes on node types only...) , queries (no joins, no dereferencing in
> predicates,...)).

More users means more contributions means more progress... :-) We very
much depend on users to report back issues, to possibly suggest fixes,
and to perhaps even become a part of the development team.

> Jackrabbit 1.4 will definitely be enjoyable, some points are very interesting to
> me, like the configurable lucene indexing, the ocm, and I must miss some
> others, but I don't really think it will be the good version for a press release.

I hear you and will certainly take your points home. It might be
better to wait for Jackrabbit 2.0 before going for more major
publicity.

> Maybe I'm not supposed to answer your mail, as I'm not a member of Day,
> and even not an official Jackrabbit developer, but now you have my point of
> view, whether you want it or not ;)

Your feedback is definitely very valuable! In fact I value it equally
or even more than input from the same frame of reference that I come
from. Diversity of opinions and needs is vital for growing and
sustaining a vibrant open source community.

Posted by Frédéric Esnault <fe...@legisway.com>.
Hi Jukka !

First of all, let me say that I think Jackrabbit 2.0 release would be a perfect reason for going public (press). I mut admit I didn't really had a deep look into the 2.0 features and improvements compared to 1.3 (and 1.4), but I guess there is some good reason to enjoy (I'll check this out later, currently working on a deref-in-predicate turnaround).

About 1.4 release of Jackrabbit, I'm less enthusiastic, because I think some issues should definitely be addressed, or at least discussed and if the decision is to do nothing about them (yet), some damn good reasons should be found and organized into a clear and convincing "counter-attack" speech. Why am I saying this? Simply because going public means bringing on the project many people's attention, and most of them will only notice the problems and limitations of the product. And I think there is not enough progress about some major issues (administration (checkForReferencesInContent, checkForConflictingContent, trivial changes on node types only...) , queries (no joins, no dereferencing in predicates,...)).