Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> on 2013/04/05 07:37:09 UTC

Dependency properties

what about the shortcoming described in the "Why there are no dependency
properties in Maven2" article?

Notice we're back at a the POM model question (+ compatibility and so on) [1]
But let's start with understanding the need and how it can scale or not

Regards,

Hervé

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/Moving+forward+with+the+POM+data+model

Re: Dependency properties

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
I don't know if the karaf use is case is really valid (I'm still convinced a
plugin configuraton is appropriate)

but I like the dependency properties idea, structured as a properties addition
to actual dependency element in POM to avoid wreaking havoc: we don't really
know how people will use it, but this could give plugin developers flexibility
to create new features

Any strong objection?

This could be a good time for the team to try to implement some POM additions
and work on consequences: with a branch in git, regularly rebased, this should
not represent too much efforts.

Yes, I like it: instead of "any objection?", I prefer to ask "anybody with
me?"

Regards,

Hervé

Le samedi 6 avril 2013 14:05:23 Andrei Pozolotin a écrit :

Hervé

here are few thoughts:

1) transitive concern is valid, but should not be enforced the way it is now.

2) user properties on dependencies are a valid feature to help plugin writers.

3) it would help to have standard api to extract these user  properties from
<dependency>

4) it could be implemented as optional xsd entry for <dependency>/<properties>
where <properties> is a modello component identical to the
<project>/<properties>

Thank you,

Andrei

Re: Dependency properties