Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net> on 2005/03/09 17:00:07 UTC

Re: towards a 2.05 release

With the approach of httpd 2.1-beta (in anticipation of 2.2 GA)
I'd like to propose the httpd project integrate apreq into the
core distribution.  This project has evolved considerably since
it was first considered.

Comment or vote?

Bill

Re: towards a 2.05 release

Posted by Paul Querna <ch...@force-elite.com>.
Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> --On Wednesday, March 9, 2005 1:17 PM -0600 "William A. Rowe, Jr."
> <wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
>
>> Bingo.
>>
>> I see any perl-wrapper as surviving very nicely in mod_perl, given
>> that it would be reflecting functions exposed from the core distro.
>>
>> As they mention, the perl wrappers still need refreshing.
>

> AFAICT, that module requires libapreq2.  So, we'd have to bring it all
> into our tree.  So, my -1 for trunk still holds until after 2.2.x is
> branched off and on its way.  I just don't think it is in a state where
> it'd be easy to bring into our tree and not have it delay the beta
> process unduly.
>
> IMHO, it can wait for 2.4.  -- justin

I agree with Justin.  This might be a good thing for the future, but the
timing isn't right to do it now.

I think the focus should be on getting a 2.2 beta out first, and revisit
this once 2.2 is branched.

-Paul

Re: towards a 2.05 release

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
--On Wednesday, March 9, 2005 1:12 PM -0800 Paul Querna
<ch...@force-elite.com> wrote:

> I don't see how an optional module that depends on an external library is
> that helpful compared to the current situation. (Module bundled with the
> Library.)
>
> It makes the most sense to me to include the library and module if we do
> this.  I don't think including both should be done at this time.

That is precisely my feelings as well.  -- justin

Re: towards a 2.05 release

Posted by Paul Querna <ch...@force-elite.com>.

Re: towards a 2.05 release

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com>.

Re: towards a 2.05 release

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.

Re: towards a 2.05 release

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Re: towards a 2.05 release

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com>.

Re: towards a 2.05 release

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
<wr...@rowe-clan.net> wrote:

> With the approach of httpd 2.1-beta (in anticipation of 2.2 GA)
> I'd like to propose the httpd project integrate apreq into the
> core distribution.  This project has evolved considerably since
> it was first considered.
>
> Comment or vote?

In general, I'm not really comfortable with adding a large amount of perl
code to our tree.  httpd is a C project not a perl project - I'm not
overjoyed at the prospect of having to maintain perl code.  I, of course,
am from the camp that anything in our tree I am collectively responsible
for.

Additionally, I think merging apreq should be something for 2.4 not 2.2.
Adding it right *now* would cause a lot of delays.  For example, from a
quick glance, they use automake - which is a big no-no.  So, it'd take a
lot of effort to get it integrated in our build system.  I really think
that effort would best be placed in getting a solid 2.2 release out sooner.

If there is still a lot of interest, this can be something we merge in
right after we branch 2.2.x off into 2.3.x.  And can be an impetus for
2.4.x's release.

So, -0 in concept.  And, -1 for doing it today - it's not in a state that
can just slide into our tree at all without issues.  -- justin