Posted to dev@openjpa.apache.org by "Das, Aditi" <Ad...@schwab.com> on 2007/08/12 21:13:59 UTC

Is OpenJPA jdk1.4 compatible?

Hi,
Is OpenJPA jdk1.4 compatible? I was trying out writing JPA without using
annotations on Entities but writing a orm.xml instead..

When I try running my application with OpenJPA in jdk1.4 enviorment I
get the following error:
java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: javax/persistence/Persistence
(Unsupported major.minor version 49.0)

That means,  I am trying to run Java 5 compliant byte code in a Java 1.4
VM. But there are quite a few places in the code I have seen "if
(JavaVersions.VERSION >= 5) {"

check present. That means it certainly has options to run in Java 1.4
enviorment.

Even maven builds few projects of openJPA in jdk1.4 enviorment.

I guess, I am missing out something. Do I have to call OpenJPA api
directly without going through JPA specification in jdk1.4 enviorment?

Any poineters to this will be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Aditi
I am not the best, but certainly not like the rest.

RE: Is OpenJPA jdk1.4 compatible?

Posted by Pinaki Poddar <pp...@bea.com>.
Hi,

JPA API depends intrinsically on generics -- a JDK 1.5 feature.
Consider, for example, a method on EntityManager to find an instance by its identifier.

public <T> T find(Class<T> cls, Object id);

A significant portion of OpenJPA codebase, however, is compatiable (and compiled with) JDK 1.4. The rest of the code where the façade pattern that sits atop OpenJPA kernel to emulate JPA API depends on JDK 1.5 as the JPA API itself uses generics. So annotations or no annotations, a JPA application essentially requires JDK1.5.

Pinaki Poddar
972.834.2865

Posted by "Das, Aditi" <Ad...@schwab.com>.

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.