Posted to user@struts.apache.org by "Ruth, Brice" <BR...@Fiskars.com> on 2005/04/02 00:22:04 UTC

PropertyMessageResourcesFactory not found?!

I have a strange problem with PropertyMessageResourcesFactory not being
found when I run JspC from Ant. This is against tomcat5 (5.0.30-6jpp)
from the JPackage project, on RedHat EL 3.0, with IBM's 1.4.2 JDK (x86).

Two projects, both with very similar build files - one works fine
against Tomcat5, the other doesn't. Now, the other builds fine against
tomcat4 (4.1.x), also installed from JPackage. I am at a loss .. Here's
the stacktrace I get:

java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
        at
org.apache.strutsel.taglib.html.ELHtmlTagBeanInfo.class$(ELHtmlTagBeanIn
fo.java:88)
        at
org.apache.strutsel.taglib.html.ELHtmlTagBeanInfo.getPropertyDescriptors
(ELHtmlTagBeanInfo.java:88)
        at
java.beans.Introspector.getTargetPropertyInfo(Introspector.java:477)
        at java.beans.Introspector.getBeanInfo(Introspector.java:390)
        at java.beans.Introspector.getBeanInfo(Introspector.java:159)
        at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Generator$TagHandlerInfo.<init>(Generator.jav
a:3684)
        at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Generator$GenerateVisitor.getTagHandlerInfo(G
enerator.java:2102)
        at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Generator$GenerateVisitor.visit(Generator.jav
a:1583)
        at
org.apache.jasper.compiler.Node$CustomTag.accept(Node.java:1441)

        at
org.apache.struts.util.MessageResources.getMessageResources(MessageResou
rces.java:577)
        at
org.apache.struts.taglib.html.HtmlTag.<clinit>(HtmlTag.java:96)

When I attached Eclipse's debugger to my Ant process, I found that
MessageResourcesFactory.createFactory() was returning null, after
catching a ClassNotFoundException - and PropertyMessageResourcesFactory
was the class it was trying to load.

I have no idea here ... struts.jar and struts-el.jar are both in
WEB-INF/lib, it obviously can find the class when I compile against
tomcat4, so I am guessing there's a JAR conflict somewhere .. but the
Tomcat installations don't have any struts components (I didn't install
any of the admin webapps) - searching the entire drive system for
struts.jar and struts-el.jar only finds the files I have in my projects'
WEB-INF/lib, the file itself doesn't appear corrupted, md5sum seems to
be OK. I dunno what's goin' on ... the project deploys & builds fine
locally against 5.0.28 on Mac OS X & WinXP - so the build file seems
like its OK.

Obviously, I am at a standstill, any pointers would be appreciated. I
did find some bugzilla mentions in the Tomcat project about similar
sounding problems with Tomcat 5.5.x - any chance that that stuff crept
into 5.0.30?

Brice D. Ruth
Sr. IT Analyst
Fiskars Brands, Inc.