Posted to dev@servicemix.apache.org by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com> on 2005/12/14 02:46:31 UTC

Needed steps on sources

I'd like to know if we have to rename the packages to
"org.apache.servicemix.*" or if we can keep the current ones
"org.servicemix.*".
I think that we also have to modify the headers of all sources to
include apache license, but i want to be sure about that.
Also what copyright should be used, as currently, there are different
one used, and some files do not have copyrights ?

Cheers,
Guillaume

Re: Needed steps on sources

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 12/14/05, Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Guillaume Nodet wrote:
> > I'd like to know if we have to rename the packages to
> > "org.apache.servicemix.*" or if we can keep the current ones
> > "org.servicemix.*".
>
> Shouldn't they belong to org.apache.geronimo.servicemix.* since
> ServiceMix is (going to be) a Geronimo subproject.

I don't think so; few other apache projects put the top level domain
inside the package name.

e.g. Synapse is in org.apache.synapse not org.apache.ws.synapse.

So if it must be in the Apache domain I'd suggest to keep package
names from getting too long to use org.apache.$projectname

But I wonder is the rename mandatory? I always thought it was but then
noticed the Roller project has kept its domain name - but then its
still in the incubator as well. Its not the end of the world but I am
a fan of short package names :)

> > I think that we also have to modify the headers of all sources to
> > include apache license, but i want to be sure about that.
>
> Exactly. I think however it's part of the incubation process it's
> currently being in progress. They all should become licensed with ASF
> License 2.0.

Being licensed 2.0 is a given; the question is what are the current
rules on what that header looks like. So its more a question of what
the header & copyright line must look like. The current documentation
seems to suggest that the copyright should be assigned to Apache...

http://www.apache.org/licenses/

--

James
-------

Re: Needed steps on sources

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.
Guillaume Nodet wrote:
> I'd like to know if we have to rename the packages to
> "org.apache.servicemix.*" or if we can keep the current ones
> "org.servicemix.*".

Shouldn't they belong to org.apache.geronimo.servicemix.* since
ServiceMix is (going to be) a Geronimo subproject.

> I think that we also have to modify the headers of all sources to
> include apache license, but i want to be sure about that.

Exactly. I think however it's part of the incubation process it's
currently being in progress. They all should become licensed with ASF
License 2.0.

> Also what copyright should be used, as currently, there are different
> one used, and some files do not have copyrights ?

Could you please elaborate a bit more. All files should contain the
license in their headers.

> Guillaume

Jacek