Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Ali Salehi <al...@epfl.ch> on 2007/01/13 17:37:24 UTC

(Unknown)

Hi,
 I want to know, how solr stores numerical (e.g., double) values inside
the index.
 As they are, or solr converts them to some string representation (even if
 I use a multivalued field).

 Also for multiValued fields, is it possible to add more values to these
 kind of fields later during the crawl (adding several additional values
 to the values of an existing multi valued field).

Thanks,
AliS

Ali Salehi, LSIR - Distributed Information Systems Laboratory
EPFL-IC-IIF-LSIR, Bâtiment BC, Station 14, CH-1015 Lausanne, Switzerland.
http://lsirwww.epfl.ch/
email: ali.salehi@epfl.ch
Tel: +41-21-6936656 Fax: +41-21-6938115

Re:

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@apache.org>.
On 1/13/07, Ali Salehi <al...@epfl.ch> wrote:
>  I want to know, how solr stores numerical (e.g., double) values inside
> the index.
>  As they are, or solr converts them to some string representation (even if
>  I use a multivalued field).

For type "double" in the example schema, they are stored exactly as
given (text values), so don't try range queries.

For "sdouble", see the NumberUtils class.  The bits of the double are
grabbed as a long, then manipulated so it will sort correctly as a
signed long, and then chopped into chars that will UTF8 encode
correctly (avoid range involving UTF16 surrogates).

>  Also for multiValued fields, is it possible to add more values to these
>  kind of fields later during the crawl (adding several additional values
>  to the values of an existing multi valued field).

Not currently.  Lucene doesn't have this functionality, and thus Solr
doesn't either.  You have to add the complete document again.

-Yonik