Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by OG <og...@yahoo.com> on 2005/12/22 01:38:28 UTC

mod_jk (1.2.14 & 1.2.15) bug

Hello,

Recently I found a possibel mod_jk bug.  I'm using Apache 1.3.34,
mod_jk 1.2.14, and Jetty 5.1.15.

The bug surfaced once I started rewriting URLs with mod_rewrite.  It
appears that mod_jk sends a cookie2 header as cookie header, which
Jetty cannot handle.

The full description of the problem, including HTTP headers that I
sniffed with a proxy can be found here:

  http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=112287

Initially I thought this was a bug in Opera or in Jetty, but a person
in the above thread pointed out this is a (known?) mod_jk bug.

I looked around tomcat.apache.org, but couldn't find a link to JIRA or
Bugzilla, nor a list of known issues.

Does anyone know anything about this?  Is this a known issue?  I'd be
VERY happy to help narrow this down.

Thanks,
Otis

Re: mod_jk (1.2.14 & 1.2.15) bug

Posted by Mladen Turk <ml...@jboss.com>.
OG wrote:
> Aaaaaaah, what a let down! :(
> You can easily see it if you just go to http://www.simpy.com/login and use demo/demo account.  Then just click on the logo (top left), and notice how you get logged out, due to lost session information (normally identified via cookies).  Use Opera and this will happen.  Use Firefox/IE/Safari, and things will work.  The only difference I see between these browsers is that Opera uses that Cookie2 header.
>
> Any help would be very appreciated, as I have Opera users complaining about this.

Are you able to obtain the Cookie.getVersion() for cookie2 after the
patch. It should return version 1 in that case.

Also I double checked the patch, and it's OK, so it'll be committed.

Regards,
Mladen.

Re: mod_jk (1.2.14 & 1.2.15) bug

Posted by OG <og...@yahoo.com>.
Aaaaaaah, what a let down! :(
I just patched 1.2.15 with the patch at:
  http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=tomcat-dev&m=113397833612749&w=2

Then I tested it (on Simpy.com).... and found that the patch does _not_ fix the problem I was describing:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/tomcat-users/200512.mbox/ajax/%3c20051222003828.61356.qmail@web50301.mail.yahoo.com%3e

So, back to square one.  Perhaps what I described is a different mod_jk issue?

Posted by Mladen Turk <ml...@jboss.com>.

Re: mod_jk (1.2.14 & 1.2.15) bug

> Recently I found a possibel mod_jk bug.  I'm using Apache 1.3.34,
> mod_jk 1.2.14, and Jetty 5.1.15.
>
> The bug surfaced once I started rewriting URLs with mod_rewrite.  It
> appears that mod_jk sends a cookie2 header as cookie header, which
> Jetty cannot handle.
>
> The full description of the problem, including HTTP headers that I
> sniffed with a proxy can be found here:
>
>  http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=112287
>
> Initially I thought this was a bug in Opera or in Jetty, but a person
> in the above thread pointed out this is a (known?) mod_jk bug.
>
> I looked around tomcat.apache.org, but couldn't find a link to JIRA or
> Bugzilla, nor a list of known issues.
>
> Does anyone know anything about this?  Is this a known issue?  I'd be
> VERY happy to help narrow this down.

It's a known issue.
See http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=tomcat-dev&m=113397833612749&w=2.

The bug should be harmless for Tomcat, but I can't say about Jetty.  In any
case, there are two patches in the thread:  Choose your favorite, apply it,
and rebuild mod_jk.

Re: mod_jk (1.2.14 & 1.2.15) bug

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.