Posted to user@ant.apache.org by "Allwicher, Klaus" <Kl...@Scansoft.com> on 2005/10/06 15:24:51 UTC

Logging questions

Hi,

I have some questions regarding the Log4J logging configuration of ANT,
which I didn't get answered by any other resources:

1. I had a problem with the Log4J configuration. I got the error message:
"Listener attempted to access System.out - infinite loop terminated"
After some investigations I found out, that I get this message, when I
invoke a JAVA program, which itself uses Log4J for logging. After some tests
I observed, that this error does not occur anymore, when I explicitly set
the classpath, i.e. use

<java classname="..."
        classpath="${java.class.path}"
        failonerror="true" >
instead of
<java classname="..."

        failonerror="true" >
My question: Why ? Is this a bug (I think so) or what went wrong ?

2. After the configuration of Log4J I still get the warning and error logs
from the tasks in the default format (additional to the configured format):
E.g.
INFO: Import 'work/data.subscriber.csv' into the database ...
     [exec] Result: 2
ERROR: Result: 2
     [echo] Warnings during database import. Please check
log/1255/SUBSCRIBER.log
WARN: Warnings during database import. Please check log/1255/SUBSCRIBER.log
for:
  <echo message="Import '@{datafile}' <mailto:'@{datafile}'>  into the
database ..." level="info" />
  <exec executable="sqlldr.exe" resultproperty="dblib.returnCode"
outputproperty="none" >
   <env key="NLS_LANG" value=".UTF8"/>
   <arg value="userid=${db.connection}" />
   <arg value="control=${dblib.ctlfile}" />
   <arg value="log=${dblib.logfile}" />
  </exec>
The configuration is:
    log4j.rootLogger=ERROR,console

    log4j.logger.org.apache.tools.ant=ERROR,LogFile
    log4j.logger.org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.ExecTask=FATAL,LogFile
    log4j.logger.org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Echo=INFO,console,LogFile

log4j.logger.org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Java=INFO,simpleConsole,LogFile

    log4j.additivity.org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.ExecTask=false
    log4j.additivity.org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Echo=false
    log4j.additivity.org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Java=false

Again the questions: What happens and why ?

Kind regards
Klaus

Klaus Allwicher
ScanSoft Aachen GmbH