Posted to api@directory.apache.org by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com> on 2017/01/01 09:47:33 UTC

Re: LDAP API 1.0-GA preparation

Great work, Shawn,

First of all: Happy New Year. May it be an exciting and interesting one!

It seems to me that having user guides as static pages we create the
impression that they are applicable to any version available to the
adopters of our products (old, superseded versions and the latest
available). We know that that isn't true. As our products evolve, so do our
user guides.

Would it not be better to recreate the pages in our wiki and per page state
to which page they are applicable?

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
OFBiz based solutions & services

OFBiz Extensions Marketplace
http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Thanks a lot, Shawn ! Great job !

Le 01/01/2017 à 10:47, Pierre Smits a écrit :
> Great work, Shawn,
>
> First of all: Happy New Year. May it be an exciting and interesting one!
>
> It seems to me that having user guides as static pages we create the
> impression that they are applicable to any version available to the
> adopters of our products (old, superseded versions and the latest
> available). We know that that isn't true. As our products evolve, so do our
> user guides.
Actually, that will be true when we will have reached teh first official
GA, which is not currently the case.

As soon as we start working on a 2.0 (which has already started, FTR,
then the UserGuide will have to be distinct.

--
Emmanuel Lecharny

Symas.com
directory.apache.org

Re: LDAP API 1.0-GA preparation

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.

Le 01/01/2017 à 16:47, Shawn McKinney a écrit :
>> On Jan 1, 2017, at 3:47 AM, Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> First of all: Happy New Year. May it be an exciting and interesting one!
>>
>> It seems to me that having user guides as static pages we create the
>> impression that they are applicable to any version available to the
>> adopters of our products (old, superseded versions and the latest
>> available). We know that that isn't true. As our products evolve, so do our
>> user guides.
>>
>> Would it not be better to recreate the pages in our wiki and per page state
>> to which page they are applicable?
> Thanks Pierre, same to you!
>
> wrt recreation of pages:
>
> It’s good to have content available both online/offline and that’s easy to use.  If we were to move away from the website I’d point towards the markdown format (.md), popularized on github projects rather than yet another HTML website format (wiki).

The current format is markdown, even if the file extension is .mdtext.

> But, the act of moving a document this large will consume a lot of time and I’m not convinced it’s where we should be spending our time.

I'd rather complete what we have, then try t produce a pdf out of it
should be easy.

> The most important thing is the content is captured in one place, and usable, we can move it later, if need be.

indeed !

--
Emmanuel Lecharny

Symas.com