Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Max Kad <ma...@yahoo.com> on 2008/05/08 18:09:42 UTC

svn - question

Hi there,

I'm quite new to svn.  I've installed and configured svn with apache and I also created repository on linux server.

We are 8 developers, as far as I understand, each developer must have his own working copy. we prefer the working copy for each developer to be on the server rather than on the personal computer, the reason is testing, dependencies, databases etc.

Do I have to set up for each developer his own working copy directory located at the /home directory, and then to check out almost everything from the repository to each person's working copy? or maybe there is another way?

If yes, Do you know maybe if it is possible to do check out to remote directory located on the server via Eclipse or another IDE?

Thank you in advance,

Max.

Be a better friend, newshound, and

Re: svn - question

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On May 8, 2008, at 1:09 PM, Max Kad wrote:

> I'm quite new to svn.  I've installed and configured svn with
> apache and I also created repository on linux server.
>
> We are 8 developers, as far as I understand, each developer must
> have his own working copy. we prefer the working copy for each
> developer to be on the server rather than on the personal computer,
> the reason is testing, dependencies, databases etc.
>
> Do I have to set up for each developer his own working copy
> directory located at the /home directory, and then to check out
> almost everything from the repository to each person's working
> copy? or maybe there is another way?
>
> If yes, Do you know maybe if it is possible to do check out to
> remote directory located on the server via Eclipse or another IDE?

Every developer should have at least one working copy of their own,
yes. In the web site development company where I worked, we too
decided to have the working copies on the central development server,
in each developer's public_html directory in their home directory,
rather than on their local windows machine, because it was easier to
keep just a single copy of apache, mysql, php, imagemagick and
various other components working on the single development server,
rather than force each developer to keep this updated on their
workstations. We also didn't want to worry about differences in
programming for windows vs. programming for linux.

Developers could mount their home directory from the linux server as
an smb share on their windows machine. Tortoisesvn could be used to
check out directly to the smb share on the windows machine. Or
developers could log in to the linux server via ssh (using putty) and
check out or do other svn operations on the command line.

What part of the repository you check out into your working copies is
up to you. Usually you check out just the part you need Most
repositories will be set up with the trunk / branches / tags
directory structure, so you would generally only check out either the
trunk or the specific branch you're working on. For repositories that
house more than one project, you'd generally only check out the trunk
or specific branch of the specific project you're working on.

For future questions you should probably choose a more unique subject
line. Practically every email on this list could be considered an svn
question.

Re: svn - question

Posted by Hari Kodungallur <hk...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 12:46 PM, Stephane Bortzmeyer <bo...@nic.fr>
wrote:

> On Thu, May 08, 2008 at 01:14:26PM -0700,
>  Hari Kodungallur <hk...@gmail.com> wrote
>  a message of 92 lines which said:
>
> > You may have misunderstood the meaning of a 'working copy'.
>
> I don't think so, no. I think he understood it correctly.
>
> > - If there are dependencies between working copies of 8 developers,
>
> It is clear for me that the OP was talking about dependencies between
> his program and local stuff (a DBMS engine, some libraries, etc) which
> was only on the server. This is a quite common practice.

OK. Max did reply to me yesterday saying that he understood the concept
quite well and whatever Ryan replied was the answer he was looking for.

So, its probably more a lack of understanding of the setup on my side.

Everywhere I have worked, they have had a separate test user that checked
out latest from the repository and tested it in a dev/qa/staging server
before going to production. Almost always there is db access to the dev
server from individual's workstation, there wer one click setup scripts that
installed all the dependencies (libraries etc) on the local machine, etc.
etc.
Basically, working copies on a central server is new to me. Now I know
better :-)

Thanks,
-Hari

Re: svn - question

Posted by Stephane Bortzmeyer <bo...@nic.fr>.

Re: svn - question

Posted by Hari Kodungallur <hk...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, May 8, 2008 at 11:09 AM, Max Kad <ma...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm quite new to svn.  I've installed and configured svn with apache and I
> also created repository on linux server.
>
> We are 8 developers, as far as I understand, each developer must have his
> own working copy. we prefer the working copy for each developer to be on the
> server rather than on the personal computer, the reason is testing,
> dependencies, databases etc.

You may have misunderstood the meaning of a 'working copy'. A working copy
is a copy of the repository on your local computer where you can make
changes without affecting the repository.

- If there are dependencies between working copies of 8 developers, then
there is something really wrong with the way the repository is laid out. A
complete copy of the repository should be pretty much self encompassing.
IOW, if all 8 developers check out the entire repository as their working
copies, the only difference between the 8 working copies should be the
changes each person makes to the working copy before it is checked in to the
server.

- If you need a copy of the repository for testing, make a 'test' user
account and let the server checkout a working copy for, well, testing.

> Do I have to set up for each developer his own working copy directory
> located at the /home directory, and then to check out almost everything from
> the repository to each person's working copy? or maybe there is another way?

You should leave it upto the developer to checkout the working copy wherever
(s)he wants. You don't necessarily need to checkout everything from the
repository. If you know for sure that checking out a sub directory will be
enough to make changes and do unit tests, you should need to checkout only
that directory.

But yes, each developer will need to have a working copy of some sort to
make his or her changes. It is not recommended that multiple uses share the
same working copy.

> If yes, Do you know maybe if it is possible to do check out to remote
> directory located on the server via Eclipse or another IDE?

I don't know. But if the remote directory is accessible as a mounted
directory or something like that, there is no reason why it can not do it.
Otherwise, it may not be possible.

Regards,
-Hari