Posted to soap-user@ws.apache.org by Jerry Isdale <is...@hrl.com> on 2001/05/15 00:13:14 UTC

Soap2.1 w/Tomcat3.3m2 servlet.jar

I am just getting started with SOAP and Tomcat.
I got Tomcat 3.3 Milestone 2 installed and running just fine.  Runs the JSP and
servlet examples.
Then I try SOAP.  Front page loads, but when I try to DEPLOY, I get
  Error: 500
  Location: /soap/admin/deploy.jsp
  Internal Servlet Error:
  java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/servlet/http/HttpServlet

Well, servlets were working just fine, so I figured there was some classpath
problem.
Tomcat 3.3m2 has a servlet.jar in its lib/common
If I copy this file to my jdk1.3/jre/lib/ext directory, then soap/deploy works
fine.
Without delving into source details, I'd say that soap does not use the same
classpath as its parent tomcat.
Seems a shame to have multiple versions of jar files (not to mention a
configuration hassle)
I have a work around for now so I'll leave the deep solution to others.

Thanks
--
Jerry Isdale,  Research Staff
Human-Centered Systems Department