Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2016/12/22 07:34:19 UTC

[parent] japicmp configuration

Hi

I've just figured out how to get japicmp working for me and have a few
questions / suggestions for the parent POM.

Currently the configuration of the plugin happens inside the
pluginManagement section, not inside the japicmp profile. Should we move
this?

The current configuration breaks the build if japicmp detects binary
incompatible changes. In particular for a site build this feels wrong as
I'd rather have a report with the binary incompatibility than none at
all. Also there may be false positives (there are lots of false
positives for the current compress master branch). Can we change
breakBuildOnBinaryIncompatibleModifications or at least make it
configurable for the components without having to override the full
configuration?

Stefan

Re: [parent] japicmp configuration

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2016-12-22, Jörg Schaible wrote:

> Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>> Currently the configuration of the plugin happens inside the
>> pluginManagement section, not inside the japicmp profile. Should we move
>> this?

> It does not really matter. Since profiles do not have a pluginManagement
> section, you will have to add the configuration directly to the plugin's
> usage. It will affect setups where the plugin is used outside this profile.
> The question is ... do we have that at all?

Don't know.

Currently it is a bit inconsistent, we have pluginManagement entries for
jacoco, japicmp and clirr but none for cobertura.

>> The current configuration breaks the build if japicmp detects binary
>> incompatible changes. In particular for a site build this feels wrong as
>> I'd rather have a report with the binary incompatibility than none at
>> all. Also there may be false positives (there are lots of false
>> positives for the current compress master branch). Can we change
>> breakBuildOnBinaryIncompatibleModifications or at least make it
>> configurable for the components without having to override the full
>> configuration?

> Yes. Use a property for "breakBuildOnBinaryIncompatibleModifications".

OK, I knew that :-) The "Can" should have been a "Should" I guess.

Would anybody be opposed to me adding a property for this to the parent
pom?

Posted by Jörg Schaible <jo...@gmx.de>.
Hi Stefan,

Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> Hi
>
> I've just figured out how to get japicmp working for me and have a few
> questions / suggestions for the parent POM.
>
> Currently the configuration of the plugin happens inside the
> pluginManagement section, not inside the japicmp profile. Should we move
> this?

It does not really matter. Since profiles do not have a pluginManagement
section, you will have to add the configuration directly to the plugin's
usage. It will affect setups where the plugin is used outside this profile.
The question is ... do we have that at all?

> The current configuration breaks the build if japicmp detects binary
> incompatible changes. In particular for a site build this feels wrong as
> I'd rather have a report with the binary incompatibility than none at
> all. Also there may be false positives (there are lots of false
> positives for the current compress master branch). Can we change
> breakBuildOnBinaryIncompatibleModifications or at least make it
> configurable for the components without having to override the full
> configuration?

Yes. Use a property for "breakBuildOnBinaryIncompatibleModifications".

Cheers,
J�rg