Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Joe Smithian <jo...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/15 04:25:04 UTC

How to monitor SOAP messages in the Client without changing the server?

Hi all,

Can any one please let me know how can I display SOAP request and response
messages in a SOAP AXIS2 Client GUI application? I'd like to display them
for test, demo and debug purposes. The communication between client and
server is based on HTTPS so I  can't use external monitoring tools such as
TCPmon or TcpTrace. I need to do that without any change in the server so I
can not use SOAPMonitor in the server. I want to monitor the SOAP messages
from/to my client application only, not the whole traffic to the server.  I
can see the SOAP request and response messages in the log4j log file in the
client, but what I need is some APIs in the client side which I can use to
display the SOAP messages in my own GUI client. I want to display SOAP
messages in a GUI window in real-time.

I'd appreciate your comments.

Thanks

Joe

RE: How to monitor SOAP messages in the Client without changing the server?

Posted by "Li, Zhenge" <zh...@cgi.com>.
SoapMonitor module can work on client side too. You just need to modify
src/org/apache/axis2/handlers/soapmonitor/SOAPMonitorHandler.java to
switch IN with OUT for client side monitoring.  You can deploy it the
same way as you do with any other modules and change you client to use
it - I inserted soapmonitorPhase into my client side axis2.xml.

-richard

if (messageContext.getFLOW() == MessageContext.IN_FLOW) {

    id = getMessageId(messageContext);

    // show soap message inside the 'soap response' pane in the applet

    type = new Integer(SOAPMonitorConstants.SOAP_MONITOR_RESPONSE);

    ref = messageContext.getFrom();

} else if (messageContext.getFLOW() == MessageContext.OUT_FLOW) {

    id = assignMessageId(messageContext);

    // show soap message inside the 'soap request' pane in the applet

    type = new Integer(SOAPMonitorConstants.SOAP_MONITOR_REQUEST);

    ref = messageContext.getTo();

} else if (messageContext.getFLOW() == MessageContext.IN_FAULT_FLOW) {

<axisconfig name="AxisJava2.0">

    <module ref="soapmonitor"/>

    <phaseOrder type="InFlow">

        <phase name="soapmonitorPhase"/>

        <phase name="RMPhase"/

    <phaseOrder type="OutFlow">

        <!--      user can add his own phases to this area  -->

        <phase name="soapmonitorPhase"/>

        <phase name="OperationOutPhase"/>

        <!--system predefined phase-->

________________________________

Posted by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com>.
Ah, I didn't realize you wanted a GUI view of the messages. You could
modify the sample-logging code to do this, though, either by dumping the
message to a file and using a separate application to view the file, or
by adding a window to your application and having the sample-logging
code send the message text to that each time the module is called.

If you look at the instructions for the logging module example you'll
see they discuss adding the custom "loggingPhase" to each of the message
flows defined in axis2.xml. To do this on the client side without using
a repository you'd need to make the change in the axis2.xml file
contained in the axis2-kernel-X.X.X.jar. You should also be able to do
it by adding an axis2.xml in your classpath ahead of the axis2 jars to
substitute for the one in the jar, though I haven't tried this. Or you
can just change the logging module.xml to use phases already defined in
the existing axis2.xml (such as "soapmonitorPhase"), rather than
"loggingPhase".

  - Dennis

Posted by Joe Smithian <jo...@gmail.com>.
[...]

DEBUG AWT-EventQueue-0 org.apache.axis2.i18n.ProjectResourceBundle - Created

Posted by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com>.
Oh, and by the way - the Axis2
samples/userguide/src/userguid/loggingmodule/META-INF/module.xml actual
has the module name as "sample-logging", not "logging". I believe you
need to use the same name for the module when loading it as is found in
the module.xml file.

  - Dennis

Posted by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com>.
Oh, and by the way - the Axis2
samples/userguide/src/userguide/loggingmodule/META-INF/module.xml actual

Posted by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com>.

Posted by Sukma Agung Verdianto <sa...@gmail.com>.
You need to put it to your Axis2 ./repository/modules folder

Posted by Joe Smithian <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Dennis,

Posted by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com>.
Hi Joe,