Posted to dev@ranger.apache.org by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org> on 2017/04/26 16:47:04 UTC

RANGER-1540

Hi,

Whenever anyone has some free time, please take a look at the review
request for RANGER-1540:

https://reviews.apache.org/r/58660/

I am unsure about the proposal to change the "ranger_admin.log" filename to
"ranger-${user}-rangeradmin-${hostname}.log". It seems reasonable to me,
but it might have some backwards compatibility issues.

Please give some feedback on the review request either way.

Thanks,

Colm.

--
Colm O hEigeartaigh

Talend Community Coder
http://coders.talend.com

Re: RANGER-1540

Posted by Don Bosco Durai <bo...@apache.org>.
I have mixed feelings on this because it changes something core (even though trivial) and others might depend on the defaults . Overall, I am okay, because it helps us to run multiple instances of Ranger on the same server.

Few feedback:
1. I would like the format to be like ranger-admin-${hostname}-${user}.log.
a.  ranger-admin-…  will be consistent with /etc/ranger/admin and /var/log/ranger/admin we follow with Ambari
b. Putting ${user} in the end will help ignore the least significant variable by using “*”. E.g. we can select by /var/log/ranger/ranger-admin-*.log or /var/log/ranger/ranger-admin-MYHOST-*.log
2. We should assume that this will only affect manual install. With Ambari install, it generates it’s own log4j properties file.
3. We have to explicitly document this change in the next release

Thanks

Bosco