Posted to dev@xalan.apache.org by Matthew Cooper <ma...@cognoworks.com> on 2001/05/29 02:00:56 UTC

xalan creates threads and so is not ejb compliant???

I am using xalan within an ejb server (jboss in fact). I have hit a problem
whereby I have a URI resolver on the transformer to resolve document() calls.
When the resolver is invoked by xalan it is not the same thread that the
transform method was called with. This causes me two problems:

1 - I cannot use any callback methods to my ejbs as the server now sees a
different thread running and so makes that thread wait until my main thread
finishes. Unfortunately, that is the thread transform was called with so it
waits indefinitely.

2 - If xalan is creating threads (it could be creating other ones too in
there somewhere) then using it violates the ejb spec as you are not allowed
to manage your own threads.

I think I read that future ejb specs may have the server providing xml
facilities and so this may go away as an issue (for me the user - xalan would
still have to address any compliance restrictions imposed by the spec), but
in the meantime, is there a way to invoke xalan that ensures it will use the
caling thread throughout?

Thanks, Matty.
Cognoworks Inc

btw - posting this to dev list as there does not seem to be a user list.