Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com> on 2016/04/19 00:34:57 UTC

Hive footprint

Hi,

I notice that Impala is rarely mentioned these days.  I may be missing
something. However, I gather it is coming to end now as I don't recall many
use cases for it (or customers asking for it). In contrast, Hive has hold
its ground with the new addition of Spark and Tez as execution engines,
support for ACID and ORC and new stuff in Hive 2. In addition provided a
good choice for its metastore it scales well.

If Hive had the ability (organic) to have local variable and stored
procedure support then it would be top notch Data Warehouse. Given its
metastore, I don't see any technical reason why it cannot support these
constructs.

I was recently asked to comment on migration from commercial DWs to Big
Data (primarily for TCO reason) and really could not recall any better
candidate than Hive. Is HBase a viable alternative? Obviously whatever one
decides there is still HDFS, a good engine for Hive (sounds like many
prefer TEZ although I am a Spark fan) and the ubiquitous YARN.

Let me know your thoughts.

Dr Mich Talebzadeh

http://talebzadehmich.wordpress.com

Re: Hive footprint

Posted by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com>.
BTW what is the situation with Impala?

Re: Hive footprint

Posted by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com>.
This simply does not work but we need to make Hive use external indexes.
This is a must

Re: Hive footprint

Posted by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Re: Hive footprint

Posted by Marcin Tustin <mt...@handybook.com>.

Re: Hive footprint

Posted by Jörn Franke <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Hive footprint

Posted by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com>.
The issue is that Hive has indexes (not index store) but they don't work so
there we go. May be in later releases we can make use of these indexes for
faster queries. Hive allows even bitmap indexes on Fact table but they are
never used by COB.

show indexes on sales;

+-----------------------+-----------------------+-----------------------+------------------------------------------+-----------------------+----------+--+
|       idx_name        |       tab_name        |       col_names
|               idx_tab_name               |       idx_type        |
comment  |
+-----------------------+-----------------------+-----------------------+------------------------------------------+-----------------------+----------+--+

Re: Hive footprint

Posted by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com>.
A caveat here.

An OLTP database much like Oracle or SAP ASE will use indexes for point
queries in other words when the search is via index scan. In that case the
search will be very fast because typically few blocks will be needed using
Index scan and using RowID pointer to the underlying data blocks to get the
records from the disk.

When an OLAP type read is required there is a lesser need for index as the
optimiser does a serial scan and the work would be pretty efficient. As a
rule of sum (if I am correct), if Oracle CBO decides that the result set
will be more than 4% of the underlying rows it will favour a table scan

The issue with Hive are two fold (excluding storage index in ORC tables)

1) Hive does not take advantage of indexes (index in a conventional sense)
at the moment. Yes you can even create bitwise indexes on FACT tables in
Hive but they are not used by the Optimiser yet.
0: jdbc:hive2://rhes564:10010/default> show index on sales;
INFO  : OK
+-----------------------+-----------------------+-----------------------+------------------------------------------+-----------------------+----------+--+
|       idx_name        |       tab_name        |       col_names
|               idx_tab_name               |       idx_type        |
comment  |
+-----------------------+-----------------------+-----------------------+------------------------------------------+-----------------------+----------+--+
| sales_cust_bix        | sales                 | cust_id               |
oraclehadoop__sales_sales_cust_bix__     | bitmap                |

| sales_channel_bix     | sales                 | channel_id            |
oraclehadoop__sales_sales_channel_bix__  | bitmap                |

| sales_prod_bix        | sales                 | prod_id               |
oraclehadoop__sales_sales_prod_bix__     | bitmap                |

| sales_promo_bix       | sales                 | promo_id              |
oraclehadoop__sales_sales_promo_bix__    | bitmap                |

| sales_time_bix        | sales                 | time_id               |
oraclehadoop__sales_sales_time_bix__     | bitmap                |

+-----------------------+-----------------------+-----------------------+------------------------------------------+-----------------------+----------+--+

2) The blocks in Hive table are not stored sequentially. Actually the issue
with this is that HDFS lacks the ability to co-locate blocks. So really
table scan in the sense of conventional RDBMS does not exist. However I
believe there are plans to start making indexes available in Hive for COB
which in that case indexes will speed up the queries. Alan Gates may have
more on this.

Re: Hive footprint

Posted by Sabarish Sasidharan <sa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Hive footprint

Posted by Amey Barve <am...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Peyman,

Re: Hive footprint

Posted by Peyman Mohajerian <mo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Amey,

Re: Hive footprint

Posted by Amey Barve <am...@gmail.com>.
Hi Peyman,

Re: Hive footprint

Posted by Peyman Mohajerian <mo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Hive footprint

Posted by Marcin Tustin <mt...@handybook.com>.

Re: Hive footprint

Posted by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Marcin.

Re: Hive footprint

Posted by Marcin Tustin <mt...@handybook.com>.

Re: Hive footprint

Posted by Alan Gates <al...@gmail.com>.
> On Apr 18, 2016, at 15:34, Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> <snip>
>
> If Hive had the ability (organic) to have local variable and stored procedure support then it would be top notch Data Warehouse. Given its metastore, I don't see any technical reason why it cannot support these constructs.

Are you aware of the HPL/SQL module added in Hive 2.0?  If not see https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=59690156  It’s not deeply integrated yet but it’s a step in the procedural direction.

Alan.

Re: Hive footprint

Posted by Mich Talebzadeh <mi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Naveen,

Thank you for your detailed explanation.

Please allow me to explain my points if I may

I think a viable solution for big data stack will encompass (again this is
my view) Spark with Hive, HDFS and Yarn as winning combinations. Hadoop
encompasses HDFS and it is almost impossible to side step it without
finding a viable alternative as a persistent storage. Yarn is the resource
rock, Spark is a great query tool including Spark streaming and Hive is the
real Data Warehouse in Big data space that provides the meta-data for all
the tools.

You will forgive me to set aside Impala as I don't hear much about it
anymore (please feel free to agree to differ). So my prime interest is to
see Hive being improved as it should be, i.e. a proper Data Warehouse with
proper indexing strategy. I don’t really subscribe to ORC storage index as
through my experience they have not delivered the contribution to Hive CBO
as expected. My personal experience has been that they provide some
improvements on what is already available (Stats wise), but otherwise
unless you bucket your table (i.e. have an effective numeric column with
high cardinality that can be used in hash partitioning the table), one
cannot make effective use of storage index.

Now back to Hive and its external indexes. Currently the infrastructure is
there but not the functionality. I don’t know what it takes to make indexes
in Hive accountable for the CBO. We should aim to consolidate Hadoop
ecosystem by investing in the existing tools rather than trying to fragment
it further. There seems to be little effort in this area for reasons that I
may not be aware. However, I am more than happy to contribute to this case.

Kind regards,

Mich

Re: Hive footprint

Posted by Naveen Gangam <ng...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Mich,

Re: Hive footprint

Posted by Jörn Franke <jo...@gmail.com>.
Depends really what you want to do. Hive is more for queries involving a lot of data, whereby hbase+Phoenix is more for oltp scenarios or sensor ingestion.

I think the reason is that hive has been the entry point for many engines and formats. Additionally there is a lot of tuning capabilities from hardware over software to make it fast. Thus, other software always had it a little bit difficult.