Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Alex Chaffee <gu...@edamame.stinky.com> on 2000/07/04 09:41:21 UTC

VOTE: Should default output be tomcat.log or stdout?

I don't remember seeing a discussion of this (if I missed it let me
know) but a month or so ago the default destination for tc_log output
changed from tomcat.log to console out.  It's documented, but odd.
I'd prefer that the behavior change back, so the console just says
"see tomcat.log" and that all output be redirected to tomcat.log by
default.  But I could be nuts, soo...

VOTE: default server.xml sends output to tomcat.log

Re: VOTE: Should default output be tomcat.log or stdout?

Posted by Alex Chaffee <gu...@edamame.stinky.com>.
On Tue, Jul 04, 2000 at 12:41:21AM -0700, Alex Chaffee wrote:

> I don't remember seeing a discussion of this (if I missed it let me
> know) but a month or so ago the default destination for tc_log output
> changed from tomcat.log to console out.  It's documented, but odd.
> I'd prefer that the behavior change back, so the console just says
> "see tomcat.log" and that all output be redirected to tomcat.log by
> default.  But I could be nuts, soo...
>
> VOTE: default server.xml sends output to tomcat.log

Oh yeah, a possible complication is that under Windows 95/98,
FileWriter.flush() doesn't always actually flush!  So that's an
argument for keeping it going to the console.