Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Michael Bacarella <mb...@nyct.net> on 2000/07/18 01:31:45 UTC

Common request..

Howdy,

I'm going to pull the infamous "I've never been a part of this
list and I only come join the community once I have a problem" bit. In
retrospect, I'm an idiot for not having joined sooner.

I apologize for the blatant intrusion but I'm sure at least some of you
have been in this position before.

I happen to be developing www.foobar.com, for example. It's a mod_perl
site. I'd like to be able to use beta.foobar.com for code that I
am currently testing, as in, beta, of course. www.foobar.com and
beta.foobar.com are individual VirtualHosts.

Maybe I've just been awake too many hours to make sense, and hopefully
it's all a figment of my imagination, but I could swear that when I
update a script in the beta document root, it ends up being sucked into
the www document root, or vice versa.

I suppose this makes sense if the apache children have them preloaded, but
it really puts a damper on the "I can update this without fear of breaking
anything live!". Does this exist? Am I still sane?

I accept RTFM, of course. I've been on enough lists to know how
frustrating it is when some moron (like myself :) comes out of nowhere and
asks a question that has been asked and answered 1000x over before.

Any help is of course appreciated!

Michael Bacarella

Re: Common request..

Posted by Ken Williams <ke...@forum.swarthmore.edu>.
Michael,

Here's TFM you can R to solve your problem:

 http://perl.apache.org/guide/config.html#A_Script_From_One_Virtual_Host_C

You're not going crazy, the scripts are (probably) actually stomping on
each other.

Welcome to the list - we're not (very) fascist toward newbies or people
who need problems solved.  After all, that's what we all do every day.
And there seem to be very few posts here that are truly the work of, um,
misguided grey matter.  So we're not gunshy about annoying posts.  But
you'll see lots and lots of people posting URLs pointing to the guide,
as I did above.  It's quite a nice resource from Stas Beckman, you
should get to know it if you haven't already.

mbac@nyct.net (Michael Bacarella) wrote:
>Howdy,
>
>I'm going to pull the infamous "I've never been a part of this
>list and I only come join the community once I have a problem" bit. In
>retrospect, I'm an idiot for not having joined sooner.
>
>I apologize for the blatant intrusion but I'm sure at least some of you
>have been in this position before.
>
>I happen to be developing www.foobar.com, for example. It's a mod_perl
>site. I'd like to be able to use beta.foobar.com for code that I
>am currently testing, as in, beta, of course. www.foobar.com and
>beta.foobar.com are individual VirtualHosts.
>
>Maybe I've just been awake too many hours to make sense, and hopefully
>it's all a figment of my imagination, but I could swear that when I
>update a script in the beta document root, it ends up being sucked into
>the www document root, or vice versa.
>
>I suppose this makes sense if the apache children have them preloaded, but
>it really puts a damper on the "I can update this without fear of breaking
>anything live!". Does this exist? Am I still sane?
>
>I accept RTFM, of course. I've been on enough lists to know how
>frustrating it is when some moron (like myself :) comes out of nowhere and
>asks a question that has been asked and answered 1000x over before.
>
>Any help is of course appreciated!
>
>Michael Bacarella

  Ken Williams                             Last Bastion of Euclidity
  ken@forum.swarthmore.edu                            The Math Forum