Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net> on 2006/12/01 15:36:18 UTC

Re: forged spam emails from my own domain

vertito wrote:
> i am receiving spam emails coming from my own domain.com
> but that email address does not existing from my own domain.com.
>
> say my domain is mydomain.com and that spam email had FROM header that
> shows
>
> whome@mydomain.com
>
> which is currently whitelisted from spamassassin global rules and
> currently does not exist from my users list.
> that is why i am receiving it from my INBOX and not from SPAM folder,
>
> anyone has idea or a script to move this to SPAM folder?
> tnx
sidenote: Do you really have to post in such a large font?

Spamassassin whitelisting rules:

Rule 1. Do not *EVER* use whitelist_from for you domain.. EVER. This is
a bad idea because it is easily forged. Even if your MTA rejects
forgeries, that only applies to the envelope, where SA's whitelisting
will match either the envelope or the From: address Use
whitelist_from_rcvd instead. Whitelist_from_rcvd allows you to dictate
matching part of a Received: header, and you can use this so that only
internal machines will match the whitelist, outside hosts won't.

Rule 2. Actually, don't EVER use whitelist_from for anything if you can
avoid it. whitelist_from_rcvd or whitelist_from_spf are always better to
use when possible.

And, as Craig suggested, configuring your MTA to reject forgeries of
your domain is a good idea. This will only solve those that forge the
envelope from, but this is a large chunk of forged spam and viruses.

Re: forged spam emails from my own domain

Posted by Craig Morrison <cr...@2cah.com>.
vertito wrote:

> config: SpamAssassin failed to parse line, "*@yahoo.com" is not valid
> for "whitelist_from_rcvd", skipping: whitelist_from_rcvd *@yahoo.com
>
> i tried your advise but i had a line of error from my maillog, which is
> shown above.
> *@yahoo.com is just for a test.

whitelist_from_rcvd addr@lists.sourceforge.net sourceforge.net

   Use this to supplement the whitelist_from addresses with a check
against the Received headers. The first parameter is the address to
whitelist, and the second is a string to match the relay’s rDNS.

--
Craig

Re: forged spam emails from my own domain

Posted by vertito <ve...@aim-consultants.com>.

Posted by vertito <ve...@aim-consultants.com>.
you wake me up from this one. open community really is helpful as it is obviously a compounded
form of wisdom and knowledge base in general and details.
thanks again matt!