Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Dave Johnson <da...@rollerweblogger.org> on 2005/10/21 23:08:04 UTC

BRANCHING underway

  I'll post an ALL CLEAR when I'm done - Dave

Re: Roller 2.0 release and need for roadmap (was Re: BRANCHING all clear)

Posted by Anil Gangolli <an...@busybuddha.org>.
Dave Johnson wrote:

> On Oct 22, 2005, at 6:22 PM, Allen Gilliland wrote:
>
>> It's a bit unfortunate because we've gotten a bit behind with the 1.3
>> release and now we are in a situation where we pratically have 2
>> versions ready for release (1.3 & 2.0).
>

> I don't think that's a big issue. Roller 1.3 is for folks who just
> want a couple of bug fixes and not a big new release.
>

>> I still think there are some issues with 2.0 that need resolving over
>> the next couple weeks, but I think we should probably try and cut off
>> the 2.0 feature development where things stand now and focus on
>> finishing up the release by finishing up any unresolved issues and
>> fixing bugs.  I would also be comfortable with actually finalizing
>> the 2.0 release in the next week or two and tagging it, but not
>> releasing it publicly for another week or two after that.
>

> Yes. I think that once we fix the PostgreSQL problem we should tag and
> release.

I think its close, but it needs a bit more chill time and QA.  There's a
lot of new stuff that only Dave and Allen have really had an opportunity
to check out.

Posted by Dave Johnson <da...@rollerweblogger.org>.

Re: BRANCHING all clear

Posted by Allen Gilliland <Al...@Sun.COM>.
Well, the trunk is the 2.x branch.

It's a bit unfortunate because we've gotten a bit behind with the 1.3
release and now we are in a situation where we pratically have 2
versions ready for release (1.3 & 2.0).  I still think there are some
issues with 2.0 that need resolving over the next couple weeks, but I
think we should probably try and cut off the 2.0 feature development
where things stand now and focus on finishing up the release by
finishing up any unresolved issues and fixing bugs.  I would also be
comfortable with actually finalizing the 2.0 release in the next week or
two and tagging it, but not releasing it publicly for another week or
two after that.

Also remember that we decided to only do database changes on upgrades
between major versions, which means that Roller 3.0 will be the next
opportunity to do database related changes.  So tagging will have to
target a Roller 3.0 release.

Anything that doesn't require database changes can be scheduled for
Roller 2.1 or later.  So the "intranet" mode would be a good one for
Roller 2.1.

I suppose it would be good to have a simple discussion about what our
roadmap is.  Stuff that I have on my list are ...

Roller 2.x
 - custom authentication w/SSO support (acegi)
 - presentation caching upgrades (likely with memcached support)
 - standardize weblog templates (Weblog, _day, _css, _decorator)
 - more spam prevention measures (comments & trackbacks)
 - more flexible url structure
 - auditing
 - instrumentation
 - theme improvements (rewrite?)

Roller 3.x
 - tagging support
 - more complete dashboard

obviously we may not accomplish all the 2.x items before going to 3.x,
but i listed them there anyways.

-- Allen

Re: BRANCHING all clear

Posted by Elias Torres <el...@torrez.us>.