Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by bryan rasmussen <ra...@gmail.com> on 2016/01/19 23:40:14 UTC

using couchdb on usb

Hi,

I want to run couchdb on mac and ubuntu from a usb, I suppose that is
impossible so the best solution would be to install on both OS and then
either edit config or use a symlink to point to db records saved on the
usb. Is my surmise correct in this instance? Has anyone done either of
these methods and which do you suggest as the best one - drawbacks with the
methods. Does anyone have a script that already does this (configure local
couchdb instance to look for its db files in an external drive at startup)?

Thanks,
Bryan Rasmussen

Re: using couchdb on usb

Posted by Sharath <sh...@gmail.com>.
I use a symlink on my linux box (ubuntu 15) to point to a different
harddisk.

In theory it could work for a USB as long as the file permissions are
correct - I guess you'll have to experiment.

However the performance would be bad when data is persisted and views are
being built/updated.

The couchdb server may need to be started after the drive is mounted.

-Sharath