Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Kirk Israel <ki...@kisrael.com> on 2007/08/08 19:48:17 UTC

wicketstuff-dojo questions and answers

I'm getting the feeling this list doesn't have a ton of patience for
questions it considers dumb. (or related to a library rather than core
wicket) So with the idea that I might have asked a few dumb things,
and to show that I'm trying to resolve things on my own, I'm going to
give my answers to the questions I do have:

Q. Can I attach the same wicketstuff-dojo DojoMenu to multiple components?
A. No. Although some Wicket behaviors can be attached to multiple
compontents, DojoContextualMenuBehavior requires each element get its
own DojoMenu.

Q. How do I modify the color and spacing of the context menu?
A. You'd need to override the generate*JS functions in a subclass of
DojoMenu and DojoMenuItem to point to your own CSS class (probably
mostly cut and pasted from the .css dug out of the Wicketstuff-Dojo
source.)

Q. How do you get line separators between menu items?
A. You'd have to make up a new "DojoMenuItemSeperator" class, and
figure out how to compose the the underlying javascript to support
that.

Q. How would you dynamically change the icon for a menu item?
A. You'd either have to create an entirely new menu, getting the
element to drop its old behavior and connect it with the new version
or possibly extend DojoMenuItem so that it could reset the icon, but
this would require reaching more into the mysterious javascript.

Q. a. Why isn't this stuff documented in more depth?  b. And why don't
people answer every stupid little question I have.
A. a. Wicketstuff-Dojo is still a fairly young project with people who
are currently more into coding it for more functionality than
documenting. You're certainly welcome to contribute. b. These
volunteers aren't interested in doing your work for you! And they're
busy. And your questions are sometimes dumb.

All that said, I'm considering going back to the approach of making my
own context menu from more low level components (actually a lot of the
work on that was already done by another guy at my company, but we
hoped to leverage something as cool and easy to integrate as  the
Wicketstuff-Dojo menu; but we have pretty stringent look-and-feel
demands, and while the Dojo stuff looks good, it isn't especially easy
to reconfigure...)

Thanks for any improvements to my answers!
Kirk

Re: wicketstuff-dojo questions and answers

Posted by Kirk Israel <ki...@kisrael.com>.
Good, because my group was beyond the point where "Setting up a Wicket
project" was useful... and if we don't know  "What is Wicket?" by now
there's no hope for us :-)

Strongly mixed feelings about the delay... I can see the appeal of
having it as up to date as possible, but I'm hankering for
documentation now, and my group is definitely in rush rush mode.

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kirk Israel <ki...@kisrael.com>.
Heh, sorry, I didn't mean for the "true?" to sound as whiny as it did
-- just my ongoing fear, or hope, that there's some treasure trove of
documentation and developers just WAITING to answer my every question,
and I just haven't found it yet.

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kirk Israel <ki...@kisrael.com>.

Posted by Igor Vaynberg <ig...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
> Q. a. Why isn't this stuff documented in more depth?  b. And why don't
> people answer every stupid little question I have.
> A. a. Wicketstuff-Dojo is still a fairly young project with people who
> are currently more into coding it for more functionality than
> documenting. You're certainly welcome to contribute. b. These
> volunteers aren't interested in doing your work for you! And they're
> busy. And your questions are sometimes dumb.

Note that wicket-stuff projects have a different status than the core
projects. We have one team member (JBQ) working on that project, but
the rest of us don't know much about it.

As for your remark about documentation... tbh I agree. We're trying to
keep the core projects well documented (though unfortunately there are
some slips in there as well lately) but we don't monitor the
wicket-stuff projects for such things.

> All that said, I'm considering going back to the approach of making my
own context menu from more low level components (actually a lot of the
work on that was already done by another guy at my company, but we
hoped to leverage something as cool and easy to integrate as  the
Wicketstuff-Dojo menu; but we have pretty stringent look-and-feel
demands, and while the Dojo stuff looks good, it isn't especially easy
to reconfigure...)

The good about that is that you'll have exactly what you need.

Cheers,

Eelco

Re: wicketstuff-dojo questions and answers

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Quenot <jb...@apache.org>.
* Kirk Israel:

> Q. a. Why isn't this stuff documented in more depth?  b. And why don't
> people answer every stupid little question I have.
> A. a. Wicketstuff-Dojo is still a fairly young project with people who
> are currently more into coding it for more functionality than
> documenting. You're certainly welcome to contribute. b. These
> volunteers aren't interested in doing your work for you! And they're
> busy. And your questions are sometimes dumb.

Hi Kirk,

Your questions and answers about the Java components are valuable,
feel free to improve the Wiki documentation for WicketStuff Dojo:
http://wicketstuff.org/confluence/display/STUFFWIKI/WicketStuff+Dojo

Why didn't we reply earlier to your message: because August is
holidays for most of WicketStuff Dojo developers.  And there is
another reason: Vincent Demay who is the most active developer has
not yet subscribed to the Apache mailing-list.  So bear with us,
and keep up with your feedback, it's appreciated.

Note that like all other OSS (Open Source Software) developers, we
have very limited time to work on those projects.  Our main job is
*not* about polishing WicketStuff Dojo, nor even working with
Wicket most of the time.

Cheers,
--
     Jean-Baptiste Quenot
aka  John Banana   Qwerty

Re: wicketstuff-dojo questions and answers

Posted by Eelco Hillenius <ee...@gmail.com>.
> I'm getting the feeling this list doesn't have a ton of patience for
> questions it considers dumb.

I think it's more a matter of us being incredibly busy :)

Eelco