Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by "Sixten F. K. Otto 98" <Si...@Alum.Dartmouth.ORG> on 2001/02/13 03:12:32 UTC

Slide and virtual hosting

I'm in the planning stages of a couple of web projects, and have a question
about Slide's capabilities. I'm working on a design for a site that I hope to
make a very collaborative effort, and WebDAV seems a good way to allow people to
manage their own content on the site with whatever tools they prefer. Java is my
language of choice, and this project is partly designed to let my practice my
skills.

One of the things that I would like to do is to be able to set up subdomains
(virtual hosts) for a number of contributors on the one server/site. While this
seems possible from the web side (I'm currently looking at Resin as both web
server and servlet container), I'm sort of shaky on the WebDAV side.

I realize that Slide sets up its Domain structure as a single, static hierarchy.
This is not necessarily a problem, as I could construct a single hierarchy
representing all of these subdomains; for instance:
     /   (Domain)
          Site/
               Main/
               Subdomain1/
               Subdomain2/

The problem is that I don't seem to be able to change what is considered the
root of the site -- it seems hardwired to the root of the Domain. Is there any
way that I can map my virtual hosts to particular namespaces? If not that, is
there any other way that I can use Slide to manage these various sites
simultaneously?

Sixten Otto

Re: Slide and virtual hosting

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
> I'm in the planning stages of a couple of web projects, and have a
question
> about Slide's capabilities. I'm working on a design for a site that I hope
> make a very collaborative effort, and WebDAV seems a good way to allow
people to
> manage their own content on the site with whatever tools they prefer. Java
is my
> language of choice, and this project is partly designed to let my practice
my
> skills.
>
> One of the things that I would like to do is to be able to set up
subdomains
> (virtual hosts) for a number of contributors on the one server/site. While
this
> seems possible from the web side (I'm currently looking at Resin as both
web
> server and servlet container), I'm sort of shaky on the WebDAV side.
>
> I realize that Slide sets up its Domain structure as a single, static
hierarchy.
> This is not necessarily a problem, as I could construct a single hierarchy
> representing all of these subdomains; for instance:
>      /   (Domain)
>           Site/
>                Main/
>                Subdomain1/
>                Subdomain2/
>
> The problem is that I don't seem to be able to change what is considered
the
> root of the site -- it seems hardwired to the root of the Domain. Is there
any
> way that I can map my virtual hosts to particular namespaces? If not that,
is
> there any other way that I can use Slide to manage these various sites
> simultaneously?

A domain can contain multiple namespaces.

Then, there is a parameter to the WebdavServlet called "namespace" to
indicate which namespace should be accessed.
So to do the "virtual hosting" I would actually set multiple webpps, each
accessing a different namespace.

Would that solve your problem ?

Remy