Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cm...@mytownnet.com> on 2000/01/20 07:51:56 UTC

[Catalina] Revised Project Proposal

In accordance with the agreed-to policy on "revolutions vs. evolutions"
(currently being formalized by the PMC), I hereby submit revised
proposal for a new component-based architecture for the Tomcat servlet
container.  As a proposal, this code is not an official part of the
source tree for Tomcat, and carries no version number.  It is stored in
the CVS repository (in directory "proposals/catalina" for ease of access
by interested parties, and so that we can use the usual CVS facilities
to track changes in the proposed source files as they occur.

The proposal is based on the original "Proposal for a Tomcat.Next
architecture", but fleshed out with many examples of implemented
components.  The functionality is nowhere near complete, but the
examples should assist us in evaluating (and improving) the basic
architectural approach, as described in the basic component interfaces.
There is a document (in file "proposals/catalina/docs/index.html")
describing the background, rationale, and functional architecture of the
proposed code.

If you wish to comment on, ask questions about, or suggest changes to
any aspect of this proposal, please put the term "[Catalina]" in square
brackets at the beginning of your subject line.  This will help people
who are interested pay attention and not miss anything, while people who
are not interested can easily filter or delete these messages.

Craig McClanahan

PS:  Why "Catalina?"  Because it was suggested (thanks Hans!) as another
island (in the Jakarta tradition, but without the political overtones
:-).  It also happens to have a city named Avalon on it, which would be
quite appropriate as we consider using the Avalon framework
(http://java.apache.org) in the refinement of this proposal.

Re: [Catalina] Revised Project Proposal

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Pierpaolo Fumagalli wrote:

> "Craig R. McClanahan" wrote:
> >
> > PS:  Why "Catalina?"  Because it was suggested (thanks Hans!) as another
> > island (in the Jakarta tradition, but without the political overtones
> > :-).  It also happens to have a city named Avalon on it, which would be
> > quite appropriate as we consider using the Avalon framework
> > (http://java.apache.org) in the refinement of this proposal.
>
> I love this guy...

Same here :)

> The only thing is that geographically speaking Avalon
> is in Catalina, while in our case Catalina is in Avalon :)
> Anyway, great name, great idea, let's make our moves :)

+1, hasta la revolution siempre :) Just kidding...

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: [Catalina] Revised Project Proposal

Posted by Pierpaolo Fumagalli <pi...@apache.org>.
"Craig R. McClanahan" wrote:

> PS:  Why "Catalina?"  Because it was suggested (thanks Hans!) as another
> island (in the Jakarta tradition, but without the political overtones
> :-).  It also happens to have a city named Avalon on it, which would be
> quite appropriate as we consider using the Avalon framework
> (http://java.apache.org) in the refinement of this proposal.

I love this guy... The only thing is that geographically speaking Avalon
is in Catalina, while in our case Catalina is in Avalon :)
Anyway, great name, great idea, let's make our moves :)

	Pier

<ma...@betaversion.org>    <http://www.betaversion.org/~pier/>

Re: [Catalina] Revised Project Proposal

Posted by jon * <jo...@clearink.com>.
on 1/19/00 10:51 PM, Craig R. McClanahan <cm...@mytownnet.com> wrote:

> PS:  Why "Catalina?"  Because it was suggested (thanks Hans!) as another
> island (in the Jakarta tradition, but without the political overtones
> :-).  It also happens to have a city named Avalon on it, which would be
> quite appropriate as we consider using the Avalon framework
> (http://java.apache.org) in the refinement of this proposal.

Rock on! Catalina rocks. I used to fly in a aerobatics plane with a
professor friend of mine in college between palos verdes and catalina. It is
like a 1.5 hour roller coaster ride without the tracks, many many many more
loops, and a big ocean below you. ;-) We would land on the island at the
airport and eat buffalo burgers at the restaurant there (and try to hold it
down on the way back home <smile>). The airport is on top of one of the
mountains and is crazy to land on because it is at an angle, so it appears
as though you are going to crash into the mountain right before you land.

We should have a "Jakarta Conference" there sometime.

+1

-jon

Conference!  <http://ApacheCon.Com/>