Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Scott Whitecross <sw...@gmail.com> on 2010/08/30 21:50:49 UTC

Having a Connections Leak with the Hive Server

Hi all -

I'm running the Hive Server to allow multiple JDBC queries and inserts over
the course of a day.  What I've noticed is that there seems to be a pretty
bad leak with connections over the course of a week, to the point of making
the machine unreachable.  Looking through the code being used, it appears to
be closing Hive connections appropriately.  Is there a known problem with
Hive and connections now?  (I'm currently running Hive .4).

Thanks.

RE: Simple question FROM clause

Posted by Ashish Thusoo <at...@facebook.com>.
You have to create a dummy table. I think there is a JIRA open to provide a usage similar to the one you mentioned below.

Ashish

I would like to select some constants and there is no from clause, but hive says it needs one.  Do I have to create a dummy table for these or is there a better way?

select 'this', 'and', 'that';

elein
elein@varlena.com

Simple question FROM clause

RE: Having a Connections Leak with the Hive Server

Posted by Bennie Schut <bs...@ebuddy.com>.
We had some leaking file descriptors which ended up being a problem in hadoop. They fixed it on 0.21 but not on older versions. There is a workaround for hive which we successfully use. By adding this to your hive-site.xml:

  <!-- workaround for connection leak problem fixed in HADOOP-5476 but only commited to hadoop 0.21.0 -->
  <property>
    <name>hive.fileformat.check</name>
    <value>false</value>
  </property>

Bennie.

________________________________
Posted by Dave Brondsema <db...@geek.net>.

--
Dave Brondsema
Software Engineer

www.geek.net

Re: Having a Connections Leak with the Hive Server

Posted by Scott Whitecross <sw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Brondsema <db...@geek.net>.

--
Dave Brondsema