Posted to dev@jena.apache.org by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org> on 2015/07/13 17:36:26 UTC

Re: Jena3 : status? think about a release?

After some build-wrestling today, I am hopeful we can do a Jena3 release
soon.

There are a few things I know need doing:

1. Documentation : com.hp.hpl.jena => org.apache.jena

This is a bulk change - except for [1] !!
Add a big statement to the front page linking to the migration page.

2. AnonId (JENA-986, JENA-987)

This removes a linkage between the core of the core (graph) and the RDF
API. There is PR#86 for this.

As time and understanding permits I will try to process other PRs as well.

I'd very much like to get #82 (JENA-979) in.

(#47 / JENA-901 / LPDRuleEngine) could do with another review - there is
a bit labelled FIXME)

I have a bit of time this month so I'm able to RM the release.

What else must be done before we can go for Jena 3.0.0?

Closing any JIRA that are done (thanks Claude for the recent batch) is
helpful.

	Andy

[1] http://jena.staging.apache.org/documentation/migrate_jena2_jena3.html

Jena3 : release!

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
JENA-990 looks done and unless I hear otherwise, I mark it resolved and
proceed.

JENA-992 has "initial changes". Claude - is this enough for jena3?

Sorry to push this but I want to avoid continuous slippage.

	Andy

Re: Jena3 : status? think about a release?

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.
On 20/07/15 09:33, Claude Warren wrote:
> And the deprecated/removed iterators -- explaining how to replace them
> would be appreciated by anyone who was using them.

There's a section at the end of migrate_jena2_jena3 for specific items.
  (Though the reason we felt they could be removed is because the code
didn't use them and they were not in application facing code.)

I'm more concerned with a clear (which in practice implies short!) guide
to help the vast majority of users so that we keep any support spike down.

Because the documentation is not shipped with the release, we have the
luxury of being able to add to the migration guide should some point arise.

I'll risk speculating on the issues that will arise :-)

1/ the requirement for Java8

Switch to jena3 without looking and that's the first thing you're going
to hit ... and when you use java8 ...

2/ ClassNotFoundException

maybe then

3/ Classpath due the new jars and manual setup.

I think stressing the use of

<dependency>
   <groupId>org.apache.jena</groupId>
   <artifactId>apache-jena-libs</artifactId>
   <type>pom</type>
   <version>3.0.0</version>
</dependency>

is good.

But we'll see.  Expect the unexpected.

	Andy

Posted by Claude Warren <cl...@xenei.com>.

<http://like-like.xenei.com>

Re: Jena3 : status? think about a release?

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Claude Warren <cl...@xenei.com>.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andy Seaborne <an...@apache.org>.