Posted to dev@ctakes.apache.org by Alaa al Barari <al...@gmail.com> on 2016/01/03 14:31:52 UTC

Re: CTAKES DICTIONARY CREATOR GUI !!!

Hi and happy new year.

why in the data base generator we have exclude list for example in the
rxnorm section we have EXCLUSION_RXNORM = "SY"; ? whats this is about ?

Regards.

--
Eng Alaa Al-Barari
phone 0599297470

RE: CTAKES DICTIONARY CREATOR GUI !!!

Posted by "Finan, Sean" <Se...@childrens.harvard.edu>.
Hi Alaa,

That is a good question.  The umls vocabularies have, in addition to general synonyms, other term types that are unwanted as searchable synonyms.  For instance, you can look at https://www.nlm.nih.gov/research/umls/sourcereleasedocs/current/SNOMEDCT_US/stats.html
And see that OF is "Obsolete fully specified name".  This would be something like "sorrel tenesmus [symptom]".  While the validity of "sorrel tenesmus" as a searchable text could ignite great argument (please don't), the probability of having "sorrel tenesmus [symptom]" with "[symptom]" in the note is unlikely.  Even if it is there, do you care about "[symptom]" ?  Marking "Sorrel tenesmus" is most likely just fine.

Rxnorm is unique in that the SY synonym is generally undesirable.  That is because it is (if memory serves) the full chemical formula for a drug - often spanning 20+ characters.  If you really need that for your vocabulary then a toggle can be added to the gui to select it (and others) ...

Please keep in mind that the gui is still a prototype, but I think that it covers >90% of desired umls use cases.  Also keep in mind that this is being developed by people in their free time, so quick upgrades are unlikely.  Or, feel free to add it yourself - that would be fantastic.

Happy 2016,
Sean

--
Eng Alaa Al-Barari