Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by CRB <su...@metaheuristica.com> on 2011/11/22 19:21:34 UTC

Faceting is not Using Field Value Cache . . ?

Seeing something odd going on with faceting . . . we execute facets with
every query and yet the fieldValueCache is not being used:

         name:      fieldValueCache
class:      org.apache.solr.search.FastLRUCache
version:      1.0
minSize=9000, acceptableSize=9500, cleanupThread=false)
stats:     lookups : 0
hits : 0
hitratio : 0.00
inserts : 0
evictions : 0
size : 0
warmupTime : 0
cumulative_lookups : 0
cumulative_hits : 0
cumulative_hitratio : 0.00
cumulative_inserts : 0
cumulative_evictions : 0

I was under the impression the fieldValueCache  was an implicit cache
(if you don't define it, it will still exist).

We are running Solr v3.3 (and NOT using {!cache=false}).

Thoughts?

Re: Faceting is not Using Field Value Cache . . ?

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
: To Erick's Point: Can you be more specific then 'certain circumstances'?
:
: Can anyone provide an example of when fieldValueCache would be used?

either FC and FVC are used "most of the time" -- which one is used depends
on wether the field is multivalued or not, and if it's tokenized or not:
ie: max 1 term per doc == FC, else FVC.

The "most of the time" depends on facet.method...

https://wiki.apache.org/solr/SimpleFacetParameters#facet.method

...if the "enum" method is used, them the filterCache is used.

Yonik discussed a lot of these subtleties in his facet talk @ EuroCon...

http://www.lucidimagination.com/devzone/events/conferences/ApacheLuceneEurocon2011/many-facets-apache-solr

: Christopher
:
:
:
: On 2:59 PM, Erick Erickson wrote:
: > In addition to Samuel's comment, the filterCache is also used under
: > certain circumstances....
: >
: > Best
: > Erick
: >
: > 2011/11/22 Samuel García Martínez<sa...@gmail.com>:
: > > AFAIK, FieldValueCache is only used for faceting on tokenized fields.
: > > Maybe, are you getting confused with FieldCache (
: > > http://lucene.apache.org/java/3_0_2/api/all/org/apache/lucene/search/FieldCache.html)?
: > > This is used for common facets (using facet.methodü and not tokenized
: > > fields).
: > >
: > > This makes any sense for you?
: > >
: > > On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 7:21 PM,
: > > CRB<su...@metaheuristica.com>wrote:
: > >
: > > > Seeing something odd going on with faceting . . . we execute facets with
: > > > every query and yet the fieldValueCache is not being used:
: > > >
: > > >         name:      fieldValueCache
: > > > class:      org.apache.solr.search.**FastLRUCache
: > > > version:      1.0
: > > > minSize???00, acceptableSize•00, cleanupThreadúlse)
: > > > stats:     lookups : 0
: > > > hits : 0
: > > > hitratio : 0.00
: > > > inserts : 0
: > > > evictions : 0
: > > > size : 0
: > > > warmupTime : 0
: > > > cumulative_lookups : 0
: > > > cumulative_hits : 0
: > > > cumulative_hitratio : 0.00
: > > > cumulative_inserts : 0
: > > > cumulative_evictions : 0
: > > >
: > > > I was under the impression the fieldValueCache  was an implicit cache
: > > > (if
: > > > you don't define it, it will still exist).
: > > >
: > > > We are running Solr v3.3 (and NOT using {!cacheúlse}).
: > > >
: > > > Thoughts?
: > > >
: > >
: > >
: > > --
: > > Un saludo,
: > > Samuel García.
: > >
:
:

-Hoss

Re: Faceting is not Using Field Value Cache . . ?

Posted by "Christopher.R.Ball" <ch...@gmail.com>.
Erick and Samuel,

Most grateful for your input =)

To Samuel's point: The fields that I am faceting on are tokenized fields.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Samuel García Martínez <sa...@gmail.com>.

--
Un saludo,