Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com> on 2012/01/17 03:58:32 UTC

Any Tapestry-specific performance analytics packages available?

Since Java is so stupendously fast (really!) I've been more and more
focused on scaling up lately, as opposed to the "easy cop-out" by
scaling out, in an effort to reduce running costs. If any of you have
tried running a bigger site on GAE, you know what I mean - you think
it's cheap in the beginning, but pretty soon you need reserved
instances, more memory, increased bandwidth limits etc. and it all
adds up pretty quick. Now there's a lot different tools for testing
website throughput and other performance aspects, but I'm looking for
something Tapestry-specific so that serving static resources and other
irrelevant activities wouldn't skew my numbers. I already have
something home-grown, but it'd be great if there was a comprehensive
yet lightweight package for gathering long-term data and performance
averages for serving page requests, ideally attaching itself to the
request pipeline. I'm trying to push page handling averages including
database access down to 10ms or below for at least 1 million requests
a day per system. So I need comprehensive long-term data to know where
the hotspots are. If somebody has something half-baked written
already, I wouldn't mind participating in taking it to a solid,
generally useful module for all Tapestry users.

Kalle

Re: Any Tapestry-specific performance analytics packages available?

Posted by Massimo Lusetti <ml...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 7:21 PM, Josh Canfield <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Kalle.
>
> I started tapestry-monitoring so that I could keep track of specific
> methods runtime (loading data from the database etc).
>
> https://github.com/joshcanfield/tapestry-monitoring

BTW I've used it once to get idea of peaks in my application usage and
was really helpful, consider it a nice base to start with.

Cheers
--
Massimo

Re: Any Tapestry-specific performance analytics packages available?

Posted by Dmitry Gusev <dm...@gmail.com>.
Long time ago I wrote some kind of profiler for T5, its not JMX, though it
also stores results in-memory and there was a T5 page with profiling
results.
The idea was to advise each method invocation and measure statistics, like
instrumenting profilers do.

https://github.com/dmitrygusev/ping-service/blob/master/ping-service/src/dmitrygusev/ping/services/AppModule.java#L430

https://github.com/dmitrygusev/ping-service/blob/master/ping-service/war/Profiler.tml
https://github.com/dmitrygusev/ping-service/blob/master/ping-service/src/dmitrygusev/ping/pages/Profiler.java
https://github.com/dmitrygusev/ping-service/tree/master/ping-service/src/dmitrygusev/ping/services/profiler

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 11:32, Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Thanks Josh, sounds like we have a winner since there are no other
> contestants. I remember seeing your announcement at the time, but my
> quick search didn't even turn it up now. I'll check it out.
>
> Kalle
>

> On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 10:21 AM, Josh Canfield <jo...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hey Kalle.
> >
> > I started tapestry-monitoring so that I could keep track of specific
> > methods runtime (loading data from the database etc).
> >
> > https://github.com/joshcanfield/tapestry-monitoring
> >
> > I've had visions of extending it but I haven't needed other features
> > enough to bump up the priority.
> >
> > I think it'd be pretty straight forward to add page level metrics.
> > I've also considered adding a companion module that reads the
> > monitoring information and presents a UI, but the production
> > environment for my current project uses a third party app to read the
> > JMX values and track them.
> >
> > Josh
> >
> > On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 6:58 PM, Kalle Korhonen
> > <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Since Java is so stupendously fast (really!) I've been more and more
> >> focused on scaling up lately, as opposed to the "easy cop-out" by
> >> scaling out, in an effort to reduce running costs. If any of you have
> >> tried running a bigger site on GAE, you know what I mean - you think
> >> it's cheap in the beginning, but pretty soon you need reserved
> >> instances, more memory, increased bandwidth limits etc. and it all
> >> adds up pretty quick. Now there's a lot different tools for testing
> >> website throughput and other performance aspects, but I'm looking for
> >> something Tapestry-specific so that serving static resources and other
> >> irrelevant activities wouldn't skew my numbers. I already have
> >> something home-grown, but it'd be great if there was a comprehensive
> >> yet lightweight package for gathering long-term data and performance
> >> averages for serving page requests, ideally attaching itself to the
> >> request pipeline. I'm trying to push page handling averages including
> >> database access down to 10ms or below for at least 1 million requests
> >> a day per system. So I need comprehensive long-term data to know where
> >> the hotspots are. If somebody has something half-baked written
> >> already, I wouldn't mind participating in taking it to a solid,
> >> generally useful module for all Tapestry users.
> >>
> >> Kalle

Dmitry Gusev

AnjLab Team
http://anjlab.com

Re: Any Tapestry-specific performance analytics packages available?

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Josh Canfield <jo...@gmail.com>.
Hey Kalle.