Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Alan Buck <Al...@pharmacyonesource.com> on 2013/06/20 21:26:18 UTC

Error adding file-set for 'org.apache.axis2:addressing:mar:1.6.2' to archive

I am a .NET developer who finds himself working in the java world using Maven and I'm running into an issue that I haven't found an answer for. I've used Google to look for this and looked back about 3 years in the mailing list archives.

I've tried different ways to solve this but I think my noobie status with Maven is becoming a real road block.

I've got an java application that uses Maven to build. The application has a number of modules that are built. One module is concerned with database connectivity and used by some of the other modules.

I had a requirement to add web service call to another database to receive back a Boolean. I used Apache Axis2 for doing this. I had to add the addressing .mar file in order to make this work. It included this dependency in the pom.xml file for the database connectivity module:

<dependency>
            <groupId>org.apache.axis2</groupId>
            <artifactId>addressing</artifactId>
            <version>${apache.axis2.version}</version>
            <type>mar</type>
</dependency>

Later in the build process I'm creating a different module that leverages the database connectivity module. This module does not have any dependency reference to Axis2 in the pom.xml file but I'm getting this error:

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-assembly-plugin:2.2:
single (assembly) on project monitor:
Failed to create assembly: Error adding file-set for 'org.apache.axis2:addressing:mar:1.6.2' to archive:
Error adding archived file-set. PlexusIoResourceCollection not found for:
C:\Users\alan.buck\.m2\repository\org\apache\axis2\addressing\1.6.2\addressing-1.6.2.mar: No such archiver: 'mar'. -> [Help 1]
[ERROR]

>From my Google'ing it seems to be an issue around trying to unpack this .mar file. However, I could be really incorrect here with my analysis.

Why would the later module try to use/unpack the addressing .mar file and throw this error?

Any help would be appreciated.

RE: Error adding file-set for 'org.apache.axis2:addressing:mar:1.6.2' to archive

Posted by Alan Buck <Al...@pharmacyonesource.com>.
I got the application running this morning. I had to add a couple of lines to manage the addressing module but once that was done it worked as expected.

I couldn't have done this without Wayne's input. Thanks again for helping a noobie. I hope to pay back this debt to the maven users group some day.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alan Buck <Al...@pharmacyonesource.com>.
Oh, thank you for pointing me in the correct direction. The 'exclusions' information is what finally allowed the build to complete successfully.

Here is what I finally ended up doing.

Looking at the pom.xml for monitor I noticed a 'dependency' that was:

<dependency>
    <groupId>com.p1s.mps</groupId>
    <artifactId>database-connector</artifactId>
    <version>${project.version}</version>
</dependency>

This is where the 'exclusions' needed to be inserted. So I did this:

<dependency>
    <groupId>com.p1s.mps</groupId>
    <artifactId>database-connector</artifactId>
    <version>${project.version}</version>
    <exclusions>
        <exclusion>
             <groupId>org.apache.axis2</groupId>
             <artifactId>addressing</artifactId>
        </exclusion>
     </exclusions>
</dependency>

Adding the version and type tags caused a syntax error so I removed them. I then proceeded to do the normal 'mvn clean install -DskipTests' to complete successfully.

I haven't tried to run the application yet but I'll sleep better this weekend.

Wayne - I really do appreciate you sticking with me on this and teaching me some more about Maven. I'm still going to learn this tool.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alan Buck <Al...@pharmacyonesource.com>.
Thanks you have been very helpful.

The monitor project does not need the axis2 addressing mar but it is 'grabbing' it. In the monitor's assembly.xml file and pom.xml there is no reference to axis2. The only reference to it is in the database connectivity project.

I'm starting to read the Maven: The Complete Reference. This application has many moving parts and I'm trying to see how Maven is used to manage it.

I'm thinking that maybe I don't need to declare the addressing mar file as a dependency. It's needed for the axis2 jars but I might be able to handle it by copying it into the appropriate directory.

As I said earlier I'm a .NET developer that has inherited a lot of Maven functionality when the team's maven guru left.

So I'm going to do some reading at the request of the team's lead. Maybe on Monday I'll have more questions.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alan Buck <Al...@pharmacyonesource.com>.
Again I'm showing my noobie status.

I needed to create a client web service for the database connectivity module. This is where I added the dependency on axis2. Without the .mar file the response coding for the client request call fails.

<dependency>
            <groupId>org.apache.axis2</groupId>
            <artifactId>axis2-adb</artifactId>
            <version>${apache.axis2.version}</version>
        </dependency>
        <dependency>
            <groupId>org.apache.axis2</groupId>
            <artifactId>axis2-transport-http</artifactId>
            <version>${apache.axis2.version}</version>
        </dependency>
        <dependency>
            <groupId>org.apache.axis2</groupId>
            <artifactId>axis2-transport-local</artifactId>
            <version>${apache.axis2.version}</version>
        </dependency>
        <dependency>
            <groupId>org.apache.axis2</groupId>
            <artifactId>addressing</artifactId>
            <version>${apache.axis2.version}</version>
            <type>mar</type>
        </dependency>

In building the monitor module I have no need for the axis2 dependencies but I do need the database connectivity module. Maven seems to be a very good tool but the complexity is a little overwhelming for someone who is into just his fourth day of trying to absorb the details. So the error while compiling the monitor module is:

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-assembly-plugin:2.2:
single (assembly) on project monitor:
Failed to create assembly: Error adding file-set for 'org.apache.axis2:addressing:mar:1.6.2' to archive:
Error adding archived file-set. PlexusIoResourceCollection not found for:
C:\Users\alan.buck\.m2\repository\org\apache\axis2\addressing\1.6.2\addressing-1.6.2.mar: No such archiver: 'mar'. -> [Help 1] [ERROR]

So I'm trying to tell Maven not to add this file-set during the monitor module compilation.

My understanding may be faulty but I thought that the assembly.xml file is a kind of 'parent configuration' to the m-assembly-p plugin because of the <id>jar-with-dependencies</id> tag in it.

Trying to exclude the .mar file inside the m-assembly-p of the pom.xml didn't seem to work. So I'm trying to exclude it inside of the assembly.xml but that isn't working either. At this point I'm either looking in the wrong areas or using the wrong string (org.apache.axis2:addressing:mar:1.6.2) to exclude it.

Thanks for your input it did make me aware of the assembly.xml file and that has added to my understanding of Maven.

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alan Buck <Al...@pharmacyonesource.com>.
I looked at the War plugin link but I don't think I got anything out of it. I Google'd for what an assembly descriptor file is and I think this is where I need to exclude the org.apache.axis2:addressing instruction. I've tried all areas in both the fileSets and dependencySets area but no luck. I'm not even sure if org.apache.axis2:addressing is the right string to use.

Here is my assembly.xml

<assembly xmlns="http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-assembly-plugin/assembly/1.1.2"
          xsi:schemaLocation="http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-assembly-plugin/assembly/1.1.2 http://maven.apache.org/xsd/assembly-1.1.2.xsd">
    <id>jar-with-dependencies</id>
    <formats>
        <format>jar</format>
    </formats>
    <includeBaseDirectory>false</includeBaseDirectory>
    <fileSets>
        <fileSet>
            <directory>target/classes</directory>
            <lineEnding>keep</lineEnding>
            <outputDirectory>/</outputDirectory>
            <includes>
                <include>**/**</include>
            </includes>
        </fileSet>
        <fileSet>
            <outputDirectory>lib</outputDirectory>
            <includes>
                <include>src/main/dlls/*.dll</include>
            </includes>
            <excludes>
                <exclude>org.apache.axis2:addressing</exclude>
            </excludes>
        </fileSet>
        <fileSet>
            <outputDirectory>/</outputDirectory>
            <includes>
                <include>src/main/dlls/*.dll</include>
            </includes>
        </fileSet>
    </fileSets>
    <dependencySets>
        <dependencySet>
            <useProjectArtifact>false</useProjectArtifact>
            <useTransitiveDependencies>false</useTransitiveDependencies>
            <outputDirectory>lib</outputDirectory>
            <excludes>
                <exclude>com.p1s.mps:common</exclude>
            </excludes>
        </dependencySet>
        <dependencySet>
            <useProjectArtifact>false</useProjectArtifact>
            <useTransitiveDependencies>true</useTransitiveDependencies>
            <useTransitiveFiltering>true</useTransitiveFiltering>
            <outputDirectory>lib</outputDirectory>
            <includes>
                <include>com.p1s.mps:common</include>
            </includes>
        </dependencySet>
    </dependencySets>
</assembly>

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alan Buck <Al...@pharmacyonesource.com>.
You are correct about the monitor project using the database connectivity project.

Is this the m-assembly-p configuration? Until 2 days ago all I could do was spell Maven so I don't have much knowledge about it as yet.

<plugin>
                <configuration>
                    <descriptorRefs>
                        <descriptorRef>jar-with-dependencies</descriptorRef>
                    </descriptorRefs>
                    <archive>
                        <manifest>
                            <mainClass>com.p1s.mps.monitor.MpsMonitor</mainClass>
                            <addClasspath>true</addClasspath>
                            <addDefaultImplementationEntries>true</addDefaultImplementationEntries>
                        </manifest>
                        <manifestEntries> <!-- buildNumber here means timestamp -->
                            <!--suppress MavenModelInspection -->
                            <Implementation-Build>${teamcity.build.number} -&gt; ${buildNumber}</Implementation-Build>
                        </manifestEntries>
                    </archive>
                </configuration>
                <executions>
                    <execution>
                        <id>assembly</id>
                        <phase>package</phase>
                        <goals>
                            <goal>single</goal>
                        </goals>
                    </execution>
                </executions>
</plugin>

I've tried to exclude the .mar file in this plugin but I kept getting the error or a syntax error.

I'm not sure what the assembly descriptor file is. I'm could post the whole project file for monitor but I'm hesitant to paste 568 lines.

> [ERROR] Failed to execute goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-assembly-plugin:2.2:
> single (assembly) on project monitor:
> Failed to create assembly: Error adding file-set for 'org.apache.axis2:addressing:mar:1.6.2' to archive:
> Error adding archived file-set. PlexusIoResourceCollection not found for:
> C:\Users\alan.buck\.m2\repository\org\apache\axis2\addressing\1.6.2\ad
> dressing-1.6.2.mar: No such archiver: 'mar'. -> [Help 1] [ERROR]
>
> From my Google'ing it seems to be an issue around trying to unpack this .mar file. However, I could be really incorrect here with my analysis.
>
> Why would the later module try to use/unpack the addressing .mar file and throw this error?

Your "monitor" project seems to be invoking the maven-assembly-plugin to "do something." Most likely the monitor project is depending on the database connectivity module which has a dependency on this Axis2 mar file.

What does the m-assembly-p configuration look like in your monitor project? How about the assembly descriptor file? This is where you need to be looking.

Wayne

Re: Error adding file-set for 'org.apache.axis2:addressing:mar:1.6.2' to archive

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.