Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com> on 1998/03/17 23:40:01 UTC

why are we setting DB_LIB?

We set:

  DBM_LIB="-ldbm"
  DB_LIB="-ldb"

in Configuration.  This means that if we are on a system that doesn't need
-ldb (for example) yet we don't explicitly say that in Configure, then it
will die because it will assume it is needed so find-dbm-libs will use
-ldb when compiling to see if it needs -ldb.  Don't make sense to me...

Re: why are we setting DB_LIB?

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Marc Slemko wrote:

> Although I don't know what to do about ndbm stuff.  ie. you need a
> different include file, plus possible other mess.
>
> Grr.  This whole db junk is a mess.  How much would people object to
> having one db module for dbm, db, ndbm, etc?  It wouldn't be too hard to
> make a single *db* module that used whichever was found, but then people
> wouldn't have multiple modules if they want to use both.

In the unlikely event that someone wants both, they can work out how to
do it for themselves (cp mod_db.c mod_db2.c, emacs mod_db2.c Configure,
wash, rinse, repeat).

> Sheesh.  One of the stories just on the hourly news on the radio here was
> about sendmail adding antispam features and they were saying all spam
> would be gone.

Hashcash. You know it makes sense.

Cheers,

Ben.