Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Steven White <sw...@gmail.com> on 2019/07/14 14:41:55 UTC

How to query against dynamic fields without listing them all?

Hi everyone,

In my schema, I have the following field:

  <dynamicField name="CC_COMP_NAME_*" type="file_text" multiValued="true"
indexed="true" required="false" stored="false"/>

When I index, I create dynamic fields and index into it like so:

  doc.addField("CC_COMP_NAME_" + componentName.toUpperCase(),
ccAllFieldsDataValue);

In my query handler, I have this:

  {"requestHandler":{"/select_hcl":{
      "class":"solr.SearchHandler",
      "name":"/select_hcl",
      "defaults":{
        "defType":"edismax",
        "echoParams":"explicit",
        "fl":"CC_UNIQUE_FIELD,CC_FILE_PATH,score",
        "indent":"true",
        "qf":"CC_COMP_NAME_*",
        "rows":"100",
        "wt":"xml"}}}}

My expectation was when i query using this handler, it will include all the
dynamic fields with the prefix of "CC_COMP_NAME_" however, that is not
happening and I'm getting 0 hits.  But when I use the full field name, such
as CC_COMP_NAME_1 or CC_COMP_NAME_2, that works so I know my data is
indexed, it is just that Solr not paying attention to the dynamic field
syntax in "qf".

I don't want to keep a list of those dynamic fields and pass them to my
handler, but if I must, than I must.  If so, how can I get the list of
those dynamic fields from Solr so that I don't have to maintain and sync-up
the list myself.

Thanks

Steven

Re: How to query against dynamic fields without listing them all?

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.
The other options is to use query field alias:
https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/8_1/the-extended-dismax-query-parser.html#field-aliasing-using-per-field-qf-overrides
(example: https://github.com/arafalov/solr-indexing-book/blob/master/published/languages/conf/solrconfig.xml#L20
). This still does not allow wildcards (I think, check!), but at least
it allows to isolate field names as a reference in a separate
variable.
And you can update that variable using Request Parameter API:
https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/8_1/request-parameters-api.html#request-parameters-api

You can periodically get the list of all fields, using Luke endpoint.
I don't remember if/where it is documented, but you can examine the
traffic between Admin UI (Analysis or Schema screen) and backend to
see how it works.

You may even have a custom postCommit listener defined that could
check the current list of dynamic fields and write appropriate
mapping: https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/8_1/updatehandlers-in-solrconfig.html#event-listeners

Regards,
   Alex.
P.s. If you use copyField and the target does not store content, just
index - then the overhead is not too bad. And if your original fields
are store-only (because they are never searched directly) and the
copyField target is index-only, then there is no extra overhead.

Posted by Steven White <sw...@gmail.com>.