Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Michael Weber <mw...@alliednational.com> on 2003/05/23 20:45:09 UTC

[users@httpd] redirect to file:// possible?

Greetings!

Because of a Netscape 7 problem which won't allow links from http://
URLs to file:// ones, I am moving the entire intranet site to a file
share.

I know there is supposed to be a fix (bugzilla bug #84128), but I put
the user_pref("security.checkloaduri", false); line in every .js file I
could find.  It still does the same thing.

So, I am moving the files so they are all reachable via
file://y:/intranet/file-name.

My question is, can I create a redirect on my current web site (Apache
1.3.27 on RH 7.3) to point the users automatically to the new site?

Remember, if I do the standard Redirect permanent /index.html
file://y:/intranet/index.html thing, it fails because the link on that
page goes from an http: to a file: and NS 7 won't do that.  I'm hoping
to just have the server send a "go here" command to the browser.

Before you ask me why I don't just tell people to go to the new site, I
have 120 people who are still looking for the "Any" key.  If I open an
explorer window and forget to close it, they will reboot the system
repeatedly trying to make it go away.  I mean for 30 minutes!  When they
were told to close the window, they had to have an IS person come down
and click the mouse for them because they were certain it would break
something.  For users like them, it needs to be as transparent as
possible.

One other option would be to change every link on the normal page to
one that resets their home page to the new site and then tells them a
problem occurred and they need to exit the browser and try again.
(Sneaky, but it might work!)

Any other ideas?

We use Windows 95, 98 and NetScape 4.7 and 7.02, and (when nothing else
works) IE 5.5 or 6.

Thanx!

-Michael

All spam should be forwarded to billg@microsoft.com

If Bill Gates had a nickel for every time windows crashed... Oh, wait!
He does!