Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Stephen GRAY <st...@immi.gov.au> on 2013/10/14 03:04:23 UTC

Calculating min, max and sum of a field in docs returned by search [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

UNOFFICIAL
Hi everyone,

I'd appreciate some help with a problem I'm having. I have a collection of documents in my index. Each doc contains an IntField with a value in it. What I want is to find out the minimum, maximum and sum of this field for all documents returned by a search.

I was thinking that I could do this by adding my documents to a facet, then using AssociationIntSumFacetRequest to calculate the sum over the facet returned, but I can't figure out how to use AssociationIntSumFacetRequest - there is nowhere to pass on the name of the field I want to sum over for example. As for getting the minimum and maximum, presumably you'd have to write your own FacetRequest, which is hard.

I could store the field, then iterate over all the docs returned, getting each doc and calculating min, max and sum, but in my index there are likely to be upwards of 10 million documents after a while so this might be rather slow.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

UNOFFICIAL

Re: Calculating min, max and sum of a field in docs returned by search [SEC=UNOFFICIAL]

Posted by Ian Lea <ia...@gmail.com>.
I'd start with the simple approach of a stored field and only worry
about performance if you needed to.  Field caching would likely help
if you did need to.

--
Ian.