Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Matt Raible <ma...@raibledesigns.com> on 2003/12/05 18:36:28 UTC

Detecting Tomcat version in Ant

Is it possible to detect the version of Tomcat that the user has in
Ant?  I have the following Ant task:

     <!--
=================================================================== -->
     <!--            Setup Tomcat 4.1
      -->
     <!--
=================================================================== -->
     <target name="setup-tomcat" if="tomcat.home"
         description="copies jdbc driver and context.xml to tomcat">
         <echo level="info">Copying database JDBC Driver to
${tomcat.home}/common/lib</echo>
		<copy todir="${tomcat.home}/common/lib" file="${database.jar}"/>

         <echo level="info">Copying ${webapp.name}.xml to
${tomcat.home}/webapps</echo>
		<copy tofile="${tomcat.home}/webapps/${webapp.name}.xml"
			file="metadata/web/tomcat-context.xml" />

     </target>

Copying the tomcat-context.xml file to
$CATALINA_HOME/webapps/${webapp.name}.xml will only work on Tomcat
4.1.x.  For Tomcat 5.0.x, it needs to go in
$CATALINA_HOME/conf/Catalina/localhost/.  I'd like to auto-detect
Tomcat 5 and deploy to the appropriate place.  Is there a class I can
check for or something?

Thanks,

Matt

Re: Detecting Tomcat version in Ant

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
Way 1:
Look at properties file:
org/apache/catalina/util/ServerInfo.properties

Way 2:
Cehck for the existence of a class that you know exists in tomcat5 but not
tomcat 4.

Use one of the ways above to set a property to let you know the tomcat
version. I'm not sure which way would be easier at the moment.

-Tim