Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> on 2013/09/29 16:39:02 UTC

Voting in Committers

Hi,

This was already discussed on members@ but others in my TLP community are
still not satisfied and want a more "public" discussion.

I think the main question is whether [1] is a policy document and
therefore satisfies the "stated otherwise" clause in this document [2].
The answer I got on members@ is that [1] is not a policy document and
therefore a vote as to whether to make someone a committer defaults to
majority rules unless the TLP has voted otherwise, and a -1 vote is not a
veto unless the TLP has voted otherwise.

And if that's true, would it be ok to be more explicit on [1] that it
isn't a policy document?  I know it says that "Each project has different
approaches to managing new committers" but it still could mean that this
is the policy unless the TLP has voted differently.

1. http://community.apache.org/newcommitter.html
2. http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html

Thanks in advance,
-Alex

Re: Voting in Committers

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 7:39 AM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:
> The answer I got on members@ is that [1] is not a policy document and
> therefore a vote as to whether to make someone a committer defaults to
> majority rules unless the TLP has voted otherwise, and a -1 vote is not a
> veto unless the TLP has voted otherwise.

On the contrary, I believe the default at Apache is that committer and
PMC votes are by consensus, that a -1 is a veto.  The rationale is
that committers and PMCs must regularly reach consensus on code
changes, so adding folks without consensus creates projects that
cannot function.

Doug