Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> on 2007/06/17 17:52:38 UTC

Practice of releasing small changes before incorporation into a build

If you're working on a fix that requires a specific fix and is not
something that is in ongoing, high-flux development then can people
release first and then incorporate.

Two example of late are plexus-utils in trunk, and the Maven parent POM.

Snapshots are for intra-project, high-flux development. Having them
as external dependencies is not good. We either have to change
repository settings around which sucks, or things are very well
tested. For the Maven parent POM I can't use it in the branch because
it's not released, and it causes a CCE in the remote-resources plugin
(Kulp, you may want to look at that, it's a CCE between and
ArtifactRepository and org.apache.maven.model.Repository).

I don't think there's any problem with pushing out tons of micro
releases and just makes things far more stable (and releasable).

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder and PMC Chair, Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

Re: Practice of releasing small changes before incorporation into a build

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 18/06/2007, at 11:48 AM, Daniel Kulp wrote:

> On Sunday 17 June 2007 19:24, Brett Porter wrote:
>> I was going to take care of that very shortly, but wanted to make
>> sure it was at least correct first. Using v5 was not - the gpg plugin
>> that was included did not work with the assemblies (as you can see
>> from your staging repository: http://people.apache.org/~jvanzyl/
>> maven-2.0.7-staging-repository/org/apache/maven/maven/2.0.7/ - the
>> signatures are all missing -src).
>
> I believe this is fixed in the latest SNAPSHOT of GPG.   I just
> haven't
> had the time to clean up remaining issues and get it released.  :-(

No, it's fixed in the alpha-3 release - it worked just great for me
which is why I wanted to update to it across the board.

- Brett

Re: Practice of releasing small changes before incorporation into a build

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer

Re: assembly best practices (was: Practice of releasing small changes before incorporation into a build)

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Yeah, I hadn't made it to my second cup of coffee so I didn't
remember we had the @aggregator tag for this purpose, so using
assembly:attached *should* work for this purpose. But I don't think
it properly draws in the modules so it's purely an assembly plugin
feature.

- Brett

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 18/06/2007, at 11:33 AM, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> I think we also have to deal with the asymmetry in that we make the
> source assembly from the root, and then do weird wiggling. In Maven
> I think we should have the assemblies at the top-level but this
> leads other problems with the assembly plugin. Allowing the
> assembly plugin to attach with a different artifactId is what is
> done in the shade plugin and I think it's a valid use but in this
> case I think it's a work around. Or we simply call the module that
> contains the assembly be named what the assembly is to be named.
> Still pondering.

I remember pushing for assemblies at the root in the past, but later
agreeing it wasn't best practice because of the lifecycle
inconsistency (the root project must be first in the reactor to
install the pom, but must be last in the reactor if it is producing
an assembly that aggregates built content).

I very much like using the root as an aggregation point (it's the
only sensible way to make a source assembly, and it would certainly
be better to have the binary assembly in the same place).

So it seems like:
- current best practice is to aggregate using dependencies under a
module
- suggested best practice is to aggregate at root, and so this must
be added to the architectural goals

A possible way to achieve this is to execute the lifecycle *both*
before and after modules in a project that has them, binding
differently each time and be able to configure which (default to
before as is the case now, but add a flag to bind new plugins after-
modules). This needs a lot more thought, just throwing it out there
for starters.

- Brett

Re: Practice of releasing small changes before incorporation into a build

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Monday 18 June 2007 12:41, Brett Porter wrote:
> On 19/06/2007, at 2:35 AM, Daniel Kulp wrote:
> > 1) The project name is officially "Apache Maven", not "Maven".   The
> > downloads and such should reflect that.  (as should the READMEs,
> > the web
> > site, etc....)
>
> Yes, I agree with that. Sorry, I thought you were suggesting it for
> all artifact IDs, which would be a bit much.

Oh.  God no.    Definitely a bit much.  :-)    There are a few people
that think every jar and pom and everything needs to
be "apache-foo.jar", but to me, that just makes classpath length issues
even more of an issue for no real benifit.   Apache is in the groupId
already.

However, in CXF, we name the artifact that builds the distribution (we
don't do this from the top level pom due to some of the same issues
Wendy talked about) "apache-cxf" so the files the assembly creates
are "apache-cxf-${versions}.tar.gz" and they get properly GPG signed as
such.    Basically, upon deploy, the org/apache/cxf/apache-cxf/VERSION
directory can just about  be copied as is to the distribution download
area.   No need to resign anything, rename anything, etc...   For the
most part, I'm completely lazy.   If I can have maven do the work for
me, great.   :-)

> I'm in favour of changing the distribution filename in future
> releases (but don't see it as required for this one).

Agreed.

Dan

> - Brett

J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer
IONA
P: 781-902-8727    C: 508-380-7194
daniel.kulp@iona.com
http://www.dankulp.com/blog

Re: Practice of releasing small changes before incorporation into a build

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Sunday 17 June 2007 21:51, Brett Porter wrote:
> On 18/06/2007, at 11:46 AM, Daniel Kulp wrote:
> > Technically, if you follow all the latest legal discussions and
> > stuff, the name of the tgz/zip should be "apache-maven-2.0.7" which
> > would allow
> > to use an artifactId of apache-maven.     We just changed over to
> > that format for CXF.     That way the signatures are all OK as is.
> >  (The directory it extracts to should also be apache-maven)
>
> Do you have a pointer to the specific message-id or policy document
> for this? I thought I followed that discussion and it was not seen as
> a requirement.
>
> I can't see why it would be legally required.

There are two "reasons" that come up with these discussions:

1) The project name is officially "Apache Maven", not "Maven".   The
downloads and such should reflect that.  (as should the READMEs, the web
site, etc....)

2) Trademark protection - by using "apache-maven-###.tar.gz" or whatever,
you know you are getting the real Apache version.   If some other
company releases a version of Maven that is
named "apache-maven-###.tar.gz" and we don't like it (example: they add
some stuff into it that we consider a hack or makes it incompatible), we
can go after them for trademark infringement/dilution.     With it being
Apache licensed, the company can release their version with their
changes, but they cannot call it "Apache Maven", only we can.

I'm not sure if anyone made it official policy, but whenever anyone in
the incubator tries to do a release without following that, the
incubator folks complain about it.   I personally didn't care one way or
another so for CXF we just kind of decided to avoid the whole thing and
follow the recommendation.

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer

Re: Practice of releasing small changes before incorporation into a build

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
On 6/17/07, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 18/06/2007, at 11:46 AM, Daniel Kulp wrote:
>
> > Technically, if you follow all the latest legal discussions and stuff,
> > the name of the tgz/zip should be "apache-maven-2.0.7" which would
> > allow
> > to use an artifactId of apache-maven.     We just changed over to that
> > format for CXF.     That way the signatures are all OK as is.    (The
> > directory it extracts to should also be apache-maven)
>
> Do you have a pointer to the specific message-id or policy document
> for this? I thought I followed that discussion and it was not seen as
> a requirement.
>
> I can't see why it would be legally required.

I remember that discussion but not if there was a decision. However i
remember that using groupId+artifactId would be ok for legal so the
word apache is in the assembly

> > That's a new one.   A bunch of use have been using the RR plugin
> > without
> > that error.   That said, I think the maven parent is still locking
> > down
> > to a relatively old version which had a bunch of other issues with
> > NPE's
> > and such when there are SNAPSHOTS.    Have you tried with one of the
> > newer versions of RR?
>
> You're right, it's pinned to alpha-2 but 5 is out.
>
> Jason - how do I reproduce the error if I want to check it?
>
> - Brett

I could give you my word as a Spaniard.
No good. I've known too many Spaniards.
                             -- The Princess Bride

Re: remote resource problem (was: Practice of releasing small changes before incorporation into a build)

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 18 Jun 07, at 11:19 PM 18 Jun 07, Brett Porter wrote:

> I wasn't able to reproduce the problem. I think I'll just update
> the parent to alpha-5, check again, then call the release tomorrow.

When you update I'll try again as well.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.