Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> on 2006/12/08 15:31:41 UTC

Triage time

I'm looking at some outstanding issues with the RC and wondering whether
to pull them either temporarily or indefinitely. I'd like some opinions.

#1 automatic proxy setup on Java 1.5

This was meant to be a benefit, in which the JVM would pick up the proxy
settings of the OS unless you said -noproxy

But
  1. I have never seen it work on Linux, either with KDE or Gnome
desktops (suse and ubuntu)
  2. Some people have reported problems with oracle JDBC driver and
tigris SVN not working unless you go -noproxy

The problem here is that while trying to simplify a problem (proxy
setup), we've broken things that worked. And that forces us to take on
support calls/stops builds.

Proposal: pull the auto proxy unless you say -noproxy; add a -autoproxy
option to turn it on if you want it. Fix the documentation coverage to
match. Users who live behind silly firewalls (me) have to set up ANT_ENV
to get it to work.

#2 <war> and optional web.xml

I've had reports (and seen myself) cases of users getting warned their
web.xml isnt being used when updating a WAR file that exists. I think
its something to do with updates.

Proposal: move the new web.xml features (code+doc+tests) to the Ant1.7.1
Branch, to put in once we've had better testing.

I dont know if we have a 1.7.x branch but suspect this is the time to
create one.

-steve

Re: Triage time

Posted by Jesse Glick <je...@sun.com>.
Steve Loughran wrote:
> Proposal: pull the auto proxy unless you say -noproxy; add a
> -autoproxy option to turn it on if you want it.

+0. FYI: when run inside NetBeans, Main.java is not called, so I suppose
ProxySetup is not either. However NB does its own proxy detection on
startup (env, gconf, Win32 registry, etc.) unless the user has
configured proxies explicitly; and Ant scripts inside NB use the same
settings automatically. I don't see a general problem with auto proxy
(beyond the problems you listed) so long as it is only initialized by
the Main entry point, and thus ignored by other Ant containers.

-J.

--
jesse.glick@sun.com  x22801  netbeans.org  ant.apache.org
       http://google.com/search?q=e%5E%28pi*i%29%2B1

Re: Triage time

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 8 Dec 2006, Peter Reilly <pe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is going to be fun... there are a large number of
> changes ready for ant 1.8, and there will be a number
> of 1.7 point releases...

If we create branches the same way as we did in the past, we'd create
a single branch for 1.7.x releases and keep 1.8.x work on trunk.

Stefan

Re: Triage time

Posted by Peter Reilly <pe...@gmail.com>.
On 12/8/06, Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> wrote:

> I'm looking at some outstanding issues with the RC and wondering whether
> to pull them either temporarily or indefinitely. I'd like some opinions.
>

> #1 automatic proxy setup on Java 1.5
>
> This was meant to be a benefit, in which the JVM would pick up the proxy
> settings of the OS unless you said -noproxy
>
> But
>   1. I have never seen it work on Linux, either with KDE or Gnome
> desktops (suse and ubuntu)
>   2. Some people have reported problems with oracle JDBC driver and
> tigris SVN not working unless you go -noproxy
>
> The problem here is that while trying to simplify a problem (proxy
> setup), we've broken things that worked. And that forces us to take on
> support calls/stops builds.

It does seem to cause problems.

> Proposal: pull the auto proxy unless you say -noproxy; add a -autoproxy
> option to turn it on if you want it. Fix the documentation coverage to
> match. Users who live behind silly firewalls (me) have to set up ANT_ENV
> to get it to work.

One could also add a <autoproxy/> task, or have an "auto" attribute
to <setproxy>  which just sets the system
property "java.net.useSystemProxies" to "true".

so +1 to removing setting useSystemProxies by default.

> #2 <war> and optional web.xml
>
> I've had reports (and seen myself) cases of users getting warned their
> web.xml isnt being used when updating a WAR file that exists. I think
> its something to do with updates.

Does this affect current builds (i.e. builds that have a web.xml) ?

> Proposal: move the new web.xml features (code+doc+tests) to the Ant1.7.1
> Branch, to put in once we've had better testing.

+ 0

> I dont know if we have a 1.7.x branch but suspect this is the time to
> create one.

This is going to be fun... there are a large number of
changes ready for ant 1.8, and there will be a number
of 1.7 point releases...

Peter

Re: Triage time

Posted by Martijn Kruithof <jm...@kruithof.xs4all.nl>.
Steve Loughran schreef:

> I'm looking at some outstanding issues with the RC and wondering
> whether to pull them either temporarily or indefinitely. I'd like some
> opinions.
>

> #1 automatic proxy setup on Java 1.5
>
> This was meant to be a benefit, in which the JVM would pick up the
> proxy settings of the OS unless you said -noproxy
>
> But
>  1. I have never seen it work on Linux, either with KDE or Gnome
> desktops (suse and ubuntu)
>  2. Some people have reported problems with oracle JDBC driver and
> tigris SVN not working unless you go -noproxy
>
> The problem here is that while trying to simplify a problem (proxy
> setup), we've broken things that worked. And that forces us to take on
> support calls/stops builds.
>
> Proposal: pull the auto proxy unless you say -noproxy; add a
> -autoproxy option to turn it on if you want it. Fix the documentation
> coverage to match. Users who live behind silly firewalls (me) have to
> set up ANT_ENV to get it to work.
+1

> #2 <war> and optional web.xml
>
> I've had reports (and seen myself) cases of users getting warned their
> web.xml isnt being used when updating a WAR file that exists. I think
> its something to do with updates.
>
> Proposal: move the new web.xml features (code+doc+tests) to the
> Ant1.7.1 Branch, to put in once we've had better testing.

+1

> I dont know if we have a 1.7.x branch but suspect this is the time to
> create one.

+1

Martijn

Re: Triage time

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Dec 2006, Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> I'm looking at some outstanding issues with the RC and wondering
>> whether to pull them either temporarily or indefinitely. I'd like
>> some opinions.
>>
>> #1 automatic proxy setup on Java 1.5
>
> +1 on only setting it up when required.

Done. new command -autoproxy to turn auto proxy on.

The -noproxy command still turns it off. I did that for backwards
compatibility, but realised there's another value. If you have
ANT_ARGS=-autoproxy, you can still go -noproxy on the command line to
override it (whichever statement comes last, wins)

>> #2 <war> and optional web.xml
>>
>> I've had reports (and seen myself) cases of users getting warned
>> their web.xml isnt being used when updating a WAR file that
>> exists. I think its something to do with updates.
>
> so let's remove it.

I've left that alone for now, because while it was printing messages, it
didnt break anything.

Re: Triage time

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 08 Dec 2006, Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org> wrote:

> I'm looking at some outstanding issues with the RC and wondering
> whether to pull them either temporarily or indefinitely. I'd like
> some opinions.
>
> #1 automatic proxy setup on Java 1.5

+1 on only setting it up when required.

> #2 <war> and optional web.xml
>
> I've had reports (and seen myself) cases of users getting warned
> their web.xml isnt being used when updating a WAR file that
> exists. I think its something to do with updates.

so let's remove it.

> I dont know if we have a 1.7.x branch but suspect this is the time
> to create one.

Seems so, agreed.

Stefan

Re: Triage time

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 08 Dec 2006, Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de> wrote:

> Concerning the branch, I am OK provided that someone else creates
> the branch (I do not know how to do it)

The same way you create a tag.  A branch in svn is just another "svn
cp" and the only difference between a branch and a tag is that you
don't commit any changes to the copy called a tag.

Stefan

Re: Re: Triage time

Posted by Antoine Levy-Lambert <an...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

like Matt

+0 concerning autoproxy,

+0 concerning war stuff,
Steve : the code for updating archives is complicated, with protected methods jumping up and down the inheritance tree between Zip, Jar, War.

Concerning the branch, I am OK provided that someone else creates the branch (I do not know how to do it) and that each committer decides for himself which changes should be merged from trunk to 1_7_BRANCH.

Regards,

Antoine
-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum:  Fri, 8 Dec 2006 07:06:08 -0800 (PST)