Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org> on 2002/04/13 18:03:11 UTC

NSLinkEditErrorHandlers....

On Darwin, if there's a link error (in APR-dso, if something goes wrong),
the program will exit without giving a chance to the caller to do anything:

#man NSModule
[...]
       If the user does not supply these functions,  the  default
       will  be to write an error message on to file descriptor 2
       (usually stderr) and exit  the  program  (except  for  the
       linkEdit   error  handler  when  the  NSLinkEditErrors  is
       NSLinkEditWarningError, then the default is  to  do  noth-
       ing).
[...]

"these functions" refer to a set of NSLinkEditErrorHandlers which should be
installed to alter the default behavior... Do you think it would be wise to
go ahead and install them?

    Pier

--
I think that it's extremely foolish to name a server after the current U.S.
President.                                                 B.W. Fitzpatrick

Re: NSLinkEditErrorHandlers....

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
"Kevin Pilch-Bisson" <ke...@pilch-bisson.net> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 13, 2002 at 09:07:46AM -0700, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>> On Sat, Apr 13, 2002 at 05:03:11PM +0100, Pier Fumagalli wrote:
>>> On Darwin, if there's a link error (in APR-dso, if something goes wrong),
>>> the program will exit without giving a chance to the caller to do anything:
>>>
>>> #man NSModule
>>> [...]
>>>        If the user does not supply these functions,  the  default
>>>        will  be to write an error message on to file descriptor 2
>>>        (usually stderr) and exit  the  program  (except  for  the
>>>        linkEdit   error  handler  when  the  NSLinkEditErrors  is
>>>        NSLinkEditWarningError, then the default is  to  do  noth-
>>>        ing).
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> "these functions" refer to a set of NSLinkEditErrorHandlers which should be
>>> installed to alter the default behavior... Do you think it would be wise to
>>> go ahead and install them?
>>
>> Is there anything we can do other than exit?  -- justin
>
> Well some code, like svn's plugin system, wants to attemp to load a dso to see
> if it is there.  If it's not, that's fine, it just means that a certain method
> of accessing the repository is unavailable.  Thus, failure to be able to loead
> a dso shouldn't be a fatal error IMO.

Agreed... I can try to get around with a patch once the madness of daytime
work is over this week...

    Pier

Re: NSLinkEditErrorHandlers....

Posted by Kevin Pilch-Bisson <ke...@pilch-bisson.net>.
On Sat, Apr 13, 2002 at 09:07:46AM -0700, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 13, 2002 at 05:03:11PM +0100, Pier Fumagalli wrote:
> > On Darwin, if there's a link error (in APR-dso, if something goes wrong),
> > the program will exit without giving a chance to the caller to do anything:
> >
> > #man NSModule
> > [...]
> >        If the user does not supply these functions,  the  default
> >        will  be to write an error message on to file descriptor 2
> >        (usually stderr) and exit  the  program  (except  for  the
> >        linkEdit   error  handler  when  the  NSLinkEditErrors  is
> >        NSLinkEditWarningError, then the default is  to  do  noth-
> >        ing).
> > [...]
> >
> > "these functions" refer to a set of NSLinkEditErrorHandlers which should be
> > installed to alter the default behavior... Do you think it would be wise to
> > go ahead and install them?
>
> Is there anything we can do other than exit?  -- justin

Well some code, like svn's plugin system, wants to attemp to load a dso to see
if it is there.  If it's not, that's fine, it just means that a certain method
of accessing the repository is unavailable.  Thus, failure to be able to loead
a dso shouldn't be a fatal error IMO.
Kevin Pilch-Bisson                    http://www.pilch-bisson.net
     "Historically speaking, the presences of wheels in Unix
     has never precluded their reinvention." - Larry Wall

Re: NSLinkEditErrorHandlers....

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org>.