Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Stuart Roebuck <st...@adolos.co.uk> on 2002/07/04 20:21:52 UTC

2.0.3 Release?

Sorry to repost this, but there are a lot of significant fixes in 2.0.3
which we need to be able to install on our live server.

I have just tried the latest CVS version of 2.0.3 and it brought our
live server down again with the same Avalon problems as before, I assume
that means that the Avalon classes in the current CVS of 2.0.3 are still
JVM 1.4 compiled.

Am I wrong?

Stuart.

Re: 2.0.3 Release?

Posted by Stuart Roebuck <st...@adolos.co.uk>.
On Friday, July 5, 2002, at 11:25 am, Enke, Michael wrote:

> Stuart Roebuck wrote:
>> I'll have another go at what has failed me in the past - building
>> Avalon
>> from source.  If that works I can post some patches to include two sets
>> of Avalon binaries in the source with a switch on the build to use the
>> appropriate version.
>
> I did it yesterday. If you need help ...

Thanks for the offer.  It turns out that it built first time for me
today - which was a nice change!

Anyway, here's the update..

Building with JVM 1.3 and the latest CVS of Avalon fixes the problems
I've had (our main server is already using it now along with the latest
2.0.3 CVS).

I've removed the avalon binaries from ./lib/core.
Created two new directories ./lib/core/jvm13 and ./lib/core/jvm14
Renamed the existing binaries as:
   ./lib/core/jvm14/avalon-excalibur-vm14-20020627.jar
   ./lib/core/jvm14/avalon-framework-vm14-20020627.jar
and added the new binaries built on my machine as:
   ./lib/core/jvm13/avalon-excalibur-vm13-20020705.jar
   ./lib/core/jvm13/avalon-framework-vm13-20020705.jar
Updated ./lib/jars.xml to include these references.
And altered build.xml to build with either depending on the "jvm-target"
property which defaults to "13".

If this is useful can I mail it directly to someone with commit access
(Carsten?)

Re: 2.0.3 Release?

Posted by "Enke, Michael" <mi...@wincor-nixdorf.com>.
Stuart Roebuck wrote:
> I'll have another go at what has failed me in the past - building Avalon
> from source.  If that works I can post some patches to include two sets
> of Avalon binaries in the source with a switch on the build to use the
> appropriate version.

I did it yesterday. If you need help ...

Michael

RE: 2.0.3 Release?

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@s-und-n.de>.
Stuart Roebuck wrote:
> <snip/>
> >> we need to fix the 1.4 problems before we can do a 2.0.3 release:
> >>
> >> 1. We need two distributions and therefore two versions of excalibur
> >> 2. We have to fix the "startup order of components" problem which makes
> >> currently
> >>   the hsqldb unusable with 1.4. This can either be done by addressing
> >> this
> >>   problem in excalibur or by removing hsqldb from the cocoon servlet.
> >>
> >> So, any patches and help is welcome.
> >>
> >> Carsten
>
> Okay, I don't have a handle on point 2 (nor access to a release build of
> 1.4), but I'm fully aware of point 1 and can reproduce the problem more
> easily than I would wish! :-)
Reproducing a problem is more than 50% of solving the problem. Ok, another
wise sentence which doesn't help you, I know. But, I have a solution for 2.
which I proposed to the Avalon team, but there is noone really interested,
so let's see what will happen...

> I'll have another go at what has failed me in the past - building Avalon
> from source.  If that works I can post some patches to include two sets
> of Avalon binaries in the source with a switch on the build to use the
> appropriate version.
Great!

> Can I just clarify that there are no additional tricks with Avalon,
> e.g.: To the best of anyone's knowledge, is Cocoon (and Cocoon 2.0.3 in
> particular) compatible with the latest standard Avalon Framework and
> Avalon Excalibur libraries in their totality with nothing added and
> nothing removed?

Should be, we are using the latest excalibur and avalon anyway. The
only thing is that perhaps there will be a patch for excalibur for the
2. problem listed above, so you have to rebuild excalibur then once.
But apart from that, it should be ok.

Thanks
Carsten

Re: 2.0.3 Release?

Posted by Stuart Roebuck <st...@adolos.co.uk>.
On Friday, July 5, 2002, at 08:28 am, Klaus Bertram wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I had seen that Stuart had problems with jdk 1.3
> For me it is doing well on win2000 with  jdk1.3.1_02 and tomcat 4.0.1
> I use the latest cvs versions of the cocoon_2_0_3_branch tag
>
> I use also the mysql driver  mm.mysql-2.0.14-bin.jar and all runns well
>
> Klaus

Yes, it works fine on Mac OS X jdk 1.3.1 as well, but not on our FreeBSD
server ( - not wanting to duplicate previous stuff, there's a discussion
of this in Bug report 9701.)

[continued below...]

RE: 2.0.3 Release?

Posted by Klaus Bertram <k....@kbsm.de>.