Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Gene Horodecki <ge...@shaw.ca> on 2005/05/01 03:08:07 UTC

Re: Is 5.5.9 stable?

Thank you for your reply.  I thought perhaps I had been mistaken about the 5.5 documentation and I went back and checked and it does seem to be inaccurate.  This is a direct quote from http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/jndi-datasource-examples-howto.html

"Configure the JNDI DataSource in Tomcat by adding a declaration for your resource to $CATALINA_HOME/conf/server.xml.
Add this in between the </Context> tag of the examples context and the </Host> tag closing the localhost definition."

However, there is no </Context> tag in server.xml any longer because contexts are in their own file. I then attempted to place it in context.xml but it would not work.  I don't feel comfortable doing something other then what the instructions say.

I also purchased a book on Tomcat 5.5 and it also instructed to put the <Context> in server.xml.  Is there something I'm missing here?  Thanks.

Posted by Parsons Technical Services <pa...@earthlink.net>.
I wouldn't say inaccurate but contradicting. Placing the information in the
context tag in the server.xml will work but the preferred method to declare
the context is in a separate file. Thus the instructions are not showing the
preferred method. It is however the simplest setup for beginners. Often the
configuration is for a manual deploy that is accomplished by creating the
directories by hand, and not deploying the app with a war or such.

You can place it in the context.xml file if it is to apply only for that
app. I run 5.0 and use global data resources, so I don't have an example but
I am sure that there are several on the list that can provide one.

Often books are based on the examples from the web, or visa versa. Also the
5.5 docs are a modified version of the 5.0 docs (At least it appears that
way).

You may wish to start a new thread and ask for some help on setups.

Doug