Posted to users@directory.apache.org by "Barnes, Jeffrey (GE Global Research, consultant)" <jb...@ge.com> on 2013/01/04 18:18:55 UTC

Latter-version file name/locations: server.xml and apacheds-tools.jar

Hi all,

For ApacheDS v1.5.7, we had advised modifying these two files to add some authentication information. In the latest v2.0 installation, however, the server.xml file (used to be in <installation home>/instances/default/conf folder) no longer exists, nor does the apacheds-tools.jar file (used to be in the /bin directory).

In their wisdom, we only certify against v1.5.7, but it would be nice to give someone using the latest version a hint as to where they might try to implement authentication. As a technical writer, I can get around certain roadblocks, but not when the directory structure and file name change.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Jeffrey L. Barnes
Contract Technical Writer
GE Global Research Center

Re: Latter-version file name/locations: server.xml and apacheds-tools.jar

Posted by Emmanuel Lécharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Le 1/4/13 6:18 PM, Barnes, Jeffrey (GE Global Research, consultant) a
écrit :
> Hi all,
>

> For ApacheDS v1.5.7, we had advised modifying these two files to add some authentication information. In the latest v2.0 installation, however, the server.xml file (used to be in <installation home>/instances/default/conf folder) no longer exists, nor does the apacheds-tools.jar file (used to be in the /bin directory).
Right. The configuration is now stored in the DIT, and can be updated
eitehr using Studio - the prefered way - or by modifying the associated
ldif file, assuming you understand the potential risks.

The apacheds-tools.jar has been removed, it was totally buggy.

> In their wisdom, we only certify against v1.5.7, but it would be nice to give someone using the latest version a hint as to where they might try to implement authentication. As a technical writer, I can get around certain roadblocks, but not when the directory structure and file name change.
We have documented the new configuration in teh site - which will be
published in the next few days -. You can check the stagging site here :
http://directory.staging.apache.org/apacheds/advanced-ug/2-server-config.html

> Thanks for any advice you can give me.

You are welcome. Would you have any question, feel free to ask !

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com

Re: Latter-version file name/locations: server.xml and apacheds-tools.jar

Posted by Kiran Ayyagari <ka...@apache.org>.
Hi Jeffrey,

     are you looking for a specific configuration option or about the
complete configuration details in v2.0?

--
Kiran Ayyagari
http://keydap.com