Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by bobj <bo...@yahoo.com> on 2012/05/15 18:06:42 UTC

Single page wicket app

We are creating a large single page wicket based application using tabs and
ajax to replace portions of the page when needed.

Does anyone know of any large single page wicket apps out there, or any
issues we need to address?

thanks!

Re: Single page wicket app

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi,

I think the biggest concern here is the back button support.
What are your requirements about this ?

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 6:06 PM, bobj <bo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> We are creating a large single page wicket based application using tabs and
> ajax to replace portions of the page when needed.
>
> Does anyone know of any large single page wicket apps out there, or any
> issues we need to address?
>
> thanks!

Martin Grigorov
jWeekend
Training, Consulting, Development
http://jWeekend.com

Re: Single page wicket app

Posted by Alec Swan <al...@gmail.com>.
Our app uses one-page-ajax-panel-swap approach and I ran into an issue
with versioned pages described here
http://markmail.org/thread/q3ewso5dnf2wjsol

Alec

Re: Single page wicket app

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.

Re: Single page wicket app

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 4:12 PM, armhold <ar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ajax calls do save the page state. I think the real issue for you is
> that if users have the page open but idle for a long time (longer than
> session expiration... 30 mins?) the Ajax links won't work for them
> when they decide to start using the page again.

If the page is mounted with #mountPage()/MountedMapper then clicking
on an AjaxLink that leads to an expired page will create a new
instance of the same type and will *not* execute #onClick() for that
link (because the link is gone with the first page).
But the user will be able to proceed with his work.

Re: Single page wicket app

Posted by armhold <ar...@gmail.com>.

Re: Single page wicket app

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 6:36 PM, bobj <bo...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Since the users will stay on a single page for a long time, and never go to
> a different page, do I need to be concerned with wicket not
> saving/serializing the page state?

It would be a drag for users that they would need to build up the
state (i.e. navigate through all panels and such) when you restart the
server (for any reason: code change, configuration change etc).

So in my opinion you should care about that stuff.

It is also rather difficult for people to bookmark parts of your
application (although you can build your own custom in-app
bookmarks/favorites for that) when you create a single page app.

I am not yet a big fan of building single page apps but also don't
necessarily like the 1000+ page apps either.

Martijn

Re: Single page wicket app

Re: Single page wicket app

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 9:03 PM, W Mazur <wl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would add Wicket Session size.
> See: http://www.small-improvements.com/blog/technical/tuning-wicket-session-size

Can you be more specific ?
How single-page app is different in this respect to a normal app ?

Re: Single page wicket app

Posted by W Mazur <wl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Single page wicket app

Posted by Jürgen Lind <Ju...@iteratec.de>.