Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by John Baker <jb...@teamenergy.com> on 2001/07/19 10:40:17 UTC

MIssing Classes - WHAT is the answer? :-)

Right! Enough of this! I'm confused!

Obviously there is confusion to why tomcat seems to not find classes that are
clearly located in the WEB-INF/classes directory (in package names, or
whatever) or in a jar. This appears to be a bug with the ClassLoad that is in
place, as has been pointed out to me.

I've read about dynamic compilation and class loading problems. Well I've had
no problems with my jsp pages finding classes in jars or the classes
directory.

I don't know why is responsible for this part of tomcat, or whether this is
the right list to post to, but wouldn't it be a good idea for someone who
knows what they are talking about (ie whoever wrote this part of Tomcat!) to
write a mail stating exactly how it should work, and what known problems
there are. If there are known problems, are they being addressed? It's
difficult to tell people (management) that Tomcat is the solution if there is
no gaurantee that this is being looked at. However as I love tomcat and open
source, I'd rather use it than some offering from another company :)

Clearly, if there are classes in the WEB-INF/classes, or within a jar in
WEB-INF/lib, then they should be found from Jsp pages or any object that sits
in the session. My problem, as I've pointed out before, is the ClassLoader
that gets given to a Thread I try and start from a ServletContextListener. Ie
a Thread I start to read news when the web application starts. Classes are
just not found. Oddly enough, if I start this same thread from the top of a
Jsp page - it works fine!

So, would someone like to enlighten us all so we can stop guessing and
confusing the issue. There are just too many mails about this topic now, and
it's hard to work out what the correct answer is.

Cheers

John Baker (still sifting through the many many of posts on this ;-)

--
John Baker, BSc CS.
Java developer, Linux lover.

[API] JetSpeed API 1.3a2 Diagram

Posted by Frans Thamura <ft...@yahoo.com>.
Hi. I got a difficulty to learn Jetspeed,

I visit onjava.com, and find the Java API
diagram..after that..

I create Jetspeed version for my personal use, and....

It is easier to learn jetspeed now.

You can download it from my web site

http://blueoxygen.linuxindonesia.com/project/kahiji/api/jetspeed.htm

This is 1.3a2 version.

Have a nice try

=====
Let's Empowering Open Source

Re: MIssing Classes - WHAT is the answer? :-)

Posted by John Baker <jb...@teamenergy.com>.
On Thursday 19 July 2001 10:44 am, you wrote:
> John,
>
> I've only lightly been following this so excuse my late joining, but... Do
> you have an isolated test that demonstrates the behaviour?  Perhaps with
> some sample code we can look at it.

Not an isolated test. I might get round to writing one. I'm just really busy
with worky stuff right now, so writing an isolated demo is low on the
priority list, as I have a 'hack' to get around the flaw. I'm just interested
on what a tomcat developer has to say on the matter :-)

> I might also add that I am not a tomcat developer, but just another user
> trying to help.

Ta. I'll try and get around to isolating some code within the next few days.

--
John Baker, BSc CS.
Java developer, Linux lover.

Re: MIssing Classes - WHAT is the answer? :-)

Posted by Dmitri Colebatch <di...@bigpond.net.au>.
John,