Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by David Glasser <gl...@davidglasser.net> on 2007/10/18 01:41:56 UTC

Bumping Python requirement to (at least) 2.2

We currently require Python only for the build-from-checkout and test
system, not for building from tarballs.  We require 2.2 for Windows
and 2.0 for Unix.

Here is a timeline:
21-Dec-2001: Python 2.2 released.
23-Feb-2004: Subversion 1.0.0 released.
30-Nov-2004: Python 2.4 released.
17-Oct-2007: I am writing these words.

I think we should bump the Python requirement to at least 2.2, if not
2.4.  This will let us use modern features like subprocess (which
comes with 2.4 and works with 2.2) in the test suite.  There's a nice
table in http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0291/ which shows what
language features we would be able to use.

--dave

--
David Glasser | glasser@davidglasser.net | http://www.davidglasser.net/

Re: Bumping Python requirement to (at least) 2.2

Posted by Michael Haggerty <mh...@alum.mit.edu>.
David Glasser wrote:
> We currently require Python only for the build-from-checkout and test
> system, not for building from tarballs.  We require 2.2 for Windows
> and 2.0 for Unix.
>
> Here is a timeline:
> 21-Dec-2001: Python 2.2 released.
> 23-Feb-2004: Subversion 1.0.0 released.
> 30-Nov-2004: Python 2.4 released.
> 17-Oct-2007: I am writing these words.
>
> I think we should bump the Python requirement to at least 2.2, if not
> 2.4.  This will let us use modern features like subprocess (which
> comes with 2.4 and works with 2.2) in the test suite.  There's a nice
> table in http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0291/ which shows what
> language features we would be able to use.

+1 (but doesn't count because I'm not a full committer)

FWIW, cvs2svn has required Python 2.2 since August 2006, and nobody ever
complained.  And generator functions are really fun :-)

I don't think the time is ripe to require Python 2.4 yet, though.

For cvs2svn, we have a couple of modules to add 2.4-like features to
Python 2.2; see

http://cvs2svn.tigris.org/svn/cvs2svn/trunk/cvs2svn_lib/...
    boolean.py
    process.py
    set_support.py

though from recent discussions it sounds like we could include Python's
process module instead of using our module.

Michael

Re: Bumping Python requirement to (at least) 2.2

Posted by Jeremy Whitlock <jc...@gmail.com>.
I don't have any pull here but I would agree.  Python has matured a
lot since 2.0 and supporting older versions means a lot more code.
subprocess is a great example.  We may even be able to make the test
suite smarter and more efficient because of it.

Take care,

Jeremy

Fwd: Re: Bumping Python requirement to (at least) 2.2

Posted by David Glasser <gl...@davidglasser.net>.
Oops, I remembered wrong... my proposal was just to 2.2.  This below was the
only objection to 2.4. And it's been over a year. And python is not
necessary to install from tarballs, recall.

--dave

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.