Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Cristian Opincaru <cr...@gmail.com> on 2007/06/25 09:55:24 UTC

Throughput Measurement / Tomcat / AXIS

Hi all,

I'm trying to determine the throughput for some webservices implemented in
AXIS 1.4 which is running on top of Tomcat. The services are hosted on a
Linux Pentium 4 machine; I'm using another similar machine to run JMeter.

The puzzling thing is that I'm not able to bring the processor on my server
to 100%. It goes to about 90%, but not higher. Since the processor is 10%
idle, I assume that the throughput measurements are incorrect.

I'm trying to figure out why the cpu does not get to 100% usage. It's not
the network (the two are connected by a 100MB link). The simplest service is
a hello world, where no disk access is involved, therefore, I assume that
the throughput bottleneck should be the processor. But it's not 100% used.

I would appreciate any help!
Thank you!
Cristian

--
Cristian OPINCARU
University of the Federal Armed Forces Munich

Re: Throughput Measurement / Tomcat / AXIS

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 25/06/07, Cristian Opincaru <cr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please forward me the link about Google testing (I could not find it on the
> list).
>
> I read an IBM paper about Performance Testing for an ESB (
> http://www.research.ibm.com/trl/people/mich/pub/200609_icws2006esbperf.pdf),
> and they said that in order to determine the throughput the CPU utilization
> should be 100%. It makes sense since the CPU is the component that is most
> solicited - my Web services were not writing on the disk and I allocated
> plenty of memory to Tomcat 1GB. I don't know about the sockets, is there a
> way to configure these things?

There should be a way of configuring the maximum sockets - check the
OS documentation.

Also the Tomcat config may need tweaking to allocate enough sessions etc.

> The client machine is only running 25% CPU. So the bottleneck must be the
> server.

Probably, but not necessarily - there could be some other resource
starvation, or indeed some hidden wait in the JMeter test.

Posted by Cristian Opincaru <cr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.