Posted to dev@solr.apache.org by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com> on 2021/04/28 16:04:15 UTC

Solr Roadmap (and 9.0 release planning)

Hi all,

We've come a long way since I last looked at the Roadmap WIKI page at https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SOLR/Roadmap

We have setup the Solr TLP, released a few new versions and landed some of the major features for 9.0

Now is probably a good time to do some forward-thinking, preparing what features need to land in 8.9 to make a smooth upgrade path for 9.0, and what the 9.0 blockers are.
I've updated the Roadmap page by removing outdated content. Feel free to edit it, perhaps remove stuff that is irrelevant or will not be done.

Let's start 8.9 and 9.0 visionary release planning in this mail thread.

Some of my questions are
* Will 9.0 have a working, tested alternative to Autoscaling API? Or are we missing some pieces that should be 9.0 blockers?
* Will we deprecate v1 APIs? When? I see some v2 work done lately...
* Will 9.0 ship with some 1st party plugins or will we still ship all contribs?
* What will be the main selling point for the Solr 9.0 release? Other than "runs Lucene 9"?
* etc

Jan

Re: Solr Roadmap (and 9.0 release planning)

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.
I proposed this in the solr-pmc slack channel, but widening distribution here:

Are you up for a Solr committer's meeting? Main topic would be 9.0 prep / Roadmap. But could perhaps also touch use of lucene snapshots, reference branch, state of the deprecated features (autoscaling, cdcr, dih) and it is always nice to meet!  Anyone volunteer to plan and host it?

Jan

Posted by Jan Høydahl <ja...@cominvent.com>.

Posted by Jason Gerlowski <ge...@gmail.com>.
> Will we deprecate v1 APIs? When?

I would love to see the v2 APIs get to a point where we can deprecate
v1 for eventual removal.  But I don't think we're there yet.  Eric
Pugh, myself, and some others have made recent progress, but there are
still some pretty big gaps that stop v2 from being a viable
replacement today:

- many APIs have parameters or subcommands that were never given v2
support (e.g. Alexandre's SOLR-14795)
- SolrJ lacks v2 support for many endpoints
- the ref-guide still mostly uses v1 syntax in its example requests

That's all low-complexity, fixable stuff, but on my end at least
fixing those has been a spare-time exercise.  So unless there's wider
interest v1-deprecation probably shouldn't be a 9.0 blocker.

Alternatively though, it'd be much more manageable to start
deprecating v1 if we can do it a piece at a time.  Does the
deprecation have to cover v1 across the board, or could we deprecate,
for instance, v1 Collection Admin APIs for 9.0 with other deprecations
to follow in 9.1, etc as we get v2 APIs into shape?

Jason

Posted by Mike Drob <md...@mdrob.com>.

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.
On v2 API,

Posted by Gus Heck <gu...@gmail.com>.
I am presently working on getting some lucene changes backported into 8.9
to support the AQP (SIP-9), which I'd like to finally get resolved for 8.9,
I'm prioritizing that because that means that in theory at least Lucene 8.9
is not held up, though I guess we are still co-releasing for 8.x?

http://www.needhamsoftware.com (work)
http://www.the111shift.com (play)