Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Advait Suhas Pandit <ad...@retailwave.com> on 2015/06/18 14:43:27 UTC

Suggester for text array

Hi,

We run an ecommerce company and would like to use SOLR for our product database searches.

We have products along with the categories that they belong to. In case the product belongs to more than 1 category, we have a comma separated field of categories.

How do we do auto complete on -
1. Multiple fields - product name, category
2. On categories which are not first in the list in the case of the comma separated values
E.g. If a product belongs to Hair Care Products, Personal Care Products how do we ensure that the suggester will even suggest if someone starts typing in Personal Care. Also, how do we show only Personal Care in the auto complete and not as Hair Care Products, Personal Care Products.

Thanks,
Advait

Re: Suggester for text array

Posted by Alessandro Benedetti <be...@gmail.com>.
Hi Advait ,
First of all I suggest you to study Solr a little bit [1]. because your
requirements are actually really simple :

1) You can simply use more than one suggest dictionary if you care to keep
the suggestions separated ( keeping if a term is coming from the name or
from the the category)

if you don't care to keep them separated, simply use a copy field to copy
both the fields in.

2) Solr supports multi valued fields since the beginning.
I really suggest you to split by comma in your indexer application,
providing to Solr the multi values already separated.
Because they are multi values for the category field ( so it's nor analysis
responsibility to split them)

Cheers

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/solr/Apache+Solr+Reference+Guide